MAINTENANCE CREW CHIEF (URBAN FORESTRY)
Posted on Jan 14, 2019 by Village of Oak Park
Class specifications are intended to present a descriptive list of the range of duties performed by employees in the class. Specifications are not intended to reflect all duties performed within the job.
To lead, oversee, and participate in the more complex and difficult work of staff and contractors responsible for providing cultivation and maintenance of trees and landscaped areas; and to perform a variety of technical tasks relative to assigned area of responsibility.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED AND EXERCISED
Receives general supervision from the Forestry Superintendent.
Exercises functional and technical direction over lower level forestry staff.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES - Essential and other important duties and responsibilities may include, but are not limited to, the following:
Essential duties and responsibilities
1. Lead and review the work of staff and contractors responsible for providing the trimming, planting, removal and maintenance of trees and various landscaped areas.
2. Direct, and participate in the planting and maintenance of trees, landscaped areas and other associated facilities by in-house or contracted crews.
3. Direct the use of and operate moderately heavy and light equipment including chippers, stumpers, chain saws and various other equipment.
4. Estimate time, materials and equipment required for jobs assigned; requisition materials as required; prepare bi-weekly payroll of assigned staff.
5. Inspect trees for compliance with standards and specifications, hazards, trimming and removal needs.
6. Apply pesticides and chemicals for insect, disease and weed control.
7. Train assigned employees in maintenance methods and techniques, and in the set up and use of equipment.
8. Perform heavy physical labor.
9. Ensure the adherence to safe work policies and procedures.
Maintenance Crew Chief Final 121318
Other important responsibilities and duties:
10. Perform the full range of duties in the assigned area of work.
11. Verify the work of assigned employees and contractors for accuracy, proper work methods, techniques, and compliance with applicable standards and specifications.
12. Respond to public inquiries in a courteous manner; provide information within the area of assignment; resolve complaints in an efficient and timely manner.
4. Participate in the Snow and Ice Control Program.
5. Perform related duties and responsibilities as required.
Operations, services and activities of a public works tree and landscape maintenance program.
Principles of leading and training workers.
Methods and techniques of tree trimming, removal and planting, landscape maintenance, and pesticide applications.
Operational characteristics of mechanical equipment and tools used in the area of work assigned.
Occupational hazards and standard safety practices necessary in the area of forestry.
Principles and procedures of record keeping including computerized inventories. Ability to:
Ensure that best in class customer service is provided to both internal and external customers and also embrace, support, and promote the Village's core values, beliefs, and culture.
Lead, organize and review the work of forestry staff in the area of work assigned.
Independently perform the most difficult maintenance, repair and inspection tasks in the area of work assigned.
Interpret, explain and enforce Department policies and procedures within assigned crew.
Operate a variety of equipment in a safe and effective manner.
Perform preventive maintenance on mechanical equipment as required.
Work independently in the absence of supervision.
Use and operate hand tools, power tools, and mechanical equipment in a safe and efficient manner.
Perform a variety of manual tasks for extended periods of time and in unfavorable weather conditions.
Apply good judgment and practical knowledge to resolve unusual or irregular problems. Perform duties in a manner to maximize public safety.
Understand and follow oral and written instructions.
Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
Establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work including the general public.
Maintain physical condition appropriate to the performance of assigned duties and responsibilities which may include the following:
─ Walking, standing or sitting for extended periods of time
─ Operating assigned equipment.
Maintain effective audio-visual discrimination and perception needed for:
─ Making observations
─ Communicating with others
─ Operating assigned equipment.
Maintain mental capacity which allows for effective interaction and communication with others.
Maintain reasonable and predictable attendance
Work overtime as operations require
Experience and Training Guidelines
Experience: Three years of increasingly responsible experience involving lead worker responsibilities in a variety of Urban Forestry activities including landscape maintenance. AND
Training: Qualified applicants must possess an Associates Degree in Urban Forestry, Arboriculture or a related field from an accredited college or university; a minimum of sixty (60) semester credit hours may substitute for the degree requirement providing knowledge of urban forestry. A Bachelor's Degree in Urban Forestry, Arboriculture or a related field from an accredited college or university, and/or additional specialized training in horticulture or a related field is desirable. AND
License or Certificate
Possession of a Class B Commercial Driver License (CDL) with Air Brake Endorsement AND
Possession of a Certified Arborist designation from the International Society of Arboriculture (ISA) is required at the time of hire and is a condition for continued employment as the Maintenance Crew Chief.
Possession of a Certified Pesticide Applicator License from the Illinois Department of Agriculture within six (6) months of hire.
Travel from site to site; some exposure to dust and noise; some heavy lifting, standing, climbing; may work at heights; work in inclement weather conditions. Category: Agriculture & Pets , Keywords: Arborist