Technical Lead - Lab (Innovation Studio)
Posted on Feb 14, 2019 by Vanguard
As a Full Stack Technical Lead on Vanguard's Client Experience program, you'll work on a fully dedicated, cross-functional, co-located and durable team given the autonomy required to deliver solutions which fulfill client needs and drive business outcomes within the context of client journeys. The team will operate with enhanced speed and agility to deliver meaningful customer experiences in a rapid build-measure-learn manner.
For this role, you are …
- A graduate with a Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or the equivalent combination of training and experience.
- Minimum of 8+ years of technical development and leadership experience
- Highly collaborative, a fast learner and willing to work wherever you're needed on the team.
- Able to achieve results against goals linked to key performance indicators.
- Experienced with software engineering fundamentals including object-oriented design, data structures, dependency injection, testable code, and algorithms.
- Experienced with software engineering tools, such as Eclipse, WebStorm, Git, and others.
- Able to write clean, maintainable code, and read code created by others.
- Quick learner who can learn and develop utilizing a new framework within a single sprint.
To really excel in the role, you will …
- Be Innovative, creative, flexible and passionate about software engineering, the engineering lifecycle, and creating great, usable, software solutions.
- Understand and leverage hypothesis driven development techniques to craft experiments that drive certainty.
- Be skilled in communicating technical information with both technical and non-technical peers.
- Have experience with mobile development.
As a Technical Lead, you will...
- Able to effectively communicate technical issues in a manner all can understand.
- Effective at laying out a technical vision for your product.
- Able to work with Scrum Masters and Journey Owners to prioritize work relative to both delivering business value and addressing technical debt.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provides expert level IT technical lead services and direction for critical software, middleware, and/or hardware projects (e.g., applications, networks, communications, and client server technologies) on multiple platforms. Provides technical expertise in systems, technical infrastructure, tools, modeling, external interfaces, and other technical areas. Completes complex development, design, implementation, architecture design specification, and maintenance activities.
- Ensures the viability of IT deliverables. Recommends development options, including design, build/buy, and vendor purchase. Approves the team's technical deliverables. Conducts testing, including functionality, technical limitations, and security.
- Identifies potential solutions, including the cost/benefit of each option. Approves technical solutions proposed by team members. Elevates complex technical issues to IT experts, including architects and vendors. Resolves technical problems discovered by testers and internal clients. Responds to and resolves technical issues in a timely manner. Researches issues and performs root cause analysis.
- Communicates with project manager on a frequent basis. Identifies tasks and issues that may have an impact on service levels or schedules. Provides realistic task and cost estimates. Screens resumes of team members, interviews, makes hiring and assignment recommendations, and writes reviews.
- Maintains a current and working knowledge of IT development methodology, architecture design, and technical standards. Mentors IT staff and identifies training needs. As new standards are instituted, ensures their usage by team members. A Technical Lead II should be able to perform as a Developer III.
- Communicates with other technical leads, IT groups, and clients so they understand the project's technical implications, dependencies, and potential conflicts. Evaluates the impacts of change requests on own/shared technologies and effectively persuades and influences others on ideas.
- Reviews and approves documentation and diagrams created by IT team members (e.g., system specifications). Writes documentation, including technical standards and processes.
1. Undergraduate degree in a related field or the equivalent combination of training and experience
2. Eight years experience in technical specialty. For development technical leads, includes three years' developer experience.
3. Strong, demonstrated analysis and problem solving skills
4. Broad knowledge of the financial services industry
5. Expert knowledge of the following technical lead practices and concepts:
- Full product life cycle
- IT vendor product assessment
- Architecture design
- Wide range of technologies within technical specialty - from state of the art to legacy systems
- Performance and stress testing
Vanguard is not offering visa sponsorship for this position