Assistant Nurse Manager - Surgical Progressive Care Unit (SPCU) - Wint
Posted on Feb 14, 2019 by Florida Hospital
Facility Profile: Nestled among the oak-shaded, brick-paved streets of one of the most picturesque hometowns in the country, Winter Park Memorial Hospital has continuously served the residents of Winter Park and its surrounding communities for more than 50 years. Chartered in 1951, the hospital has grown from the visionary efforts of a handful of Winter Park residents and community leaders, to a 307-bed acute care facility that is a model of community health and wellness. Over the years the hospital has continually expanded to meet the needs of the community, adding an upscale obstetrics and Level II Neonatal Intensive Care Unit at The Dr. P. Phillips Baby Place, cancer care at the AdventHealth Cancer Institute, Winter Park, and state-of-the-art surgery, recovery and rehabilitation at the AdventHealth Orthopedic Institute. Together with the community we serve, we're building a model of community health and wellness for generations to come.
Department Profile: The 36 bed Surgical PCU is a specialty unit including a dedicated Oto-Laryngology & Head and Neck Surgery Unit). Our highly trained staff is well experienced in caring general, thoracic, vascular, urological and gynecological surgeries. Other patient population include geriatric, acute MI, CHF, Pneumonia, Sepsis etc. who requires higher level of care due to their various co-morbidities.
Work Hours/Shifts: 3/12s; 5:45a - 6:15p
*$10,000 Sign-on Bonus available for eligible candidates (see terms below)
Job Summary: The ANM is a registered professional nurse who supports the Nurse Manager or Director in overall operations of their assigned unit. Is able to demonstrate critical thinking skills, creativity, and has the knowledge to manage resources to achieve quality performance, positive employee relations, and compliance with hospital guidelines. The ANM is skilled in coaching, mentoring, and leading a professional and technical team in the delivery of services to our patient population. The ANM assures quality of care is delivered to our patients and demonstrates effective stewardship of scarce resources. Is supportive of change activities on their unit and works to assure implementation of change that may occur. Actively participates in outstanding customer service and accepts responsibility in maintaining relationships that are equally respectful to all.
Knowledge, Skills, Education, & Experience Required:
- Ability to lead the employees of their unit in the delivery of patient care
- Ability to lead performance improvement initiatives on their assigned unit
- Ability to think critically in relation to the operations of the unit and delivery of patient care
- Ability to manage the business of healthcare delivery on their unit
- Able to assist and mentor other in relation to the technology utilized on the unit
- Excellent clinical practice knowledge and is able to apply this knowledge to the unit setting
- Ability to influence relationships and behaviors in relation to meeting the needs of the unit
- Acts as a role model for professionalism on their assigned unit of employment
- Specific skills as delineated by the unit of employment (see competencies)
- Associate's degree or Diploma in Nursing
- Specific experience as delineated by the unit of employment (see competencies)
- Bachelor of Science degree in Nursing (BSN) or Master of Science degree in Nursing (MSN) (Preferred)
- Prior management experience (Preferred)
- Specific knowledge and skills as delineated by the unit of employment (see competencies) (Preferred)
- Current registration with the Florida State Board of Nursing as a registered professional nurse
- BLS certification
- Advanced Life Support certification (ACLS, PALS, NRP) per specialty/unit requirements
- Professional certification (Preferred)
- Lead the Employees - Has a working knowledge of performance expectations for all employees on the unit. Monitors performance of the staff and report's findings to the nurse manager or takes corrective action for improvement as appropriate. Uses independent judgment to make recommendations to supervisor/manager regarding: Applicant selection for interview and input into the hiring process after actively participating in the interview process. The reassignment of employees for the betterment of patient care delivery. Suspension or other discipline (after consultation with HR and/or NM) for work infractions, performance deficiencies and conduct violations by exercising supervisory authority. Periodic evaluations of supervised employees. Recommends promotion of supervised employees, recommends bonuses and awarding of other discretionary rewards to supervised employees. The assignment of employees to particular duties or activities or to authorize and assign overtime to employees where appropriate. The adjustment/resolution of complaints, concerns, and problems of supervised employees regarding work assignments, hours of work overtime scheduling, and other work-related matters. Leads the employees in a manner which develops the employee to their optimal level of performance Mentors and coaches employees on a continual basis in order to assure competency in care delivery. Develops staff preceptors and mentors. Assures diversity of staff is positively fostered in the work environment. Actively involves all groups in shared decision-making where appropriate. Effectively manages conflict and is able to reach a common goal and resolve conflicts Creates a work environment that addresses the physical and emotional needs of the staff Maintains a customer-oriented leadership style. Remembers that patients are the reason for our business. Holds self and staff accountable for delivery of care and resulting patient outcomes.
- Performance Improvement - Demonstrates familiarity with the performance improvement model of the organization. Support performance improvement activities on the unit through problem identification, assessment, data gathering, change implementation, and evaluation of outcomes. Is actively involved in all aspects of patient safety on the unit including but not limited to; sentinel event monitoring and reporting, root cause analysis, DNV requirements, incident reporting, medication safety policies and procedures. Assures workplace safety for the employees and demonstrates knowledge of regulatory requirements for workplace safety, i.e., CMS, OSHA, DNV, etc. Is supportive of Process Improvement Initiatives by sponsoring and/or participating in the activities. Ensures that practice changes, as a result of performance improvement activities, are implemented. Supports quality standards and initiatives set by the department.
- Critical Thinking - Utilizes critical thinking skills in the performance of their duties as an ANM Supports the planning, organizing, and leading of the unit through application of critical thinking skills Utilizes data driven decision making, incorporating evidence into the decision process Appropriately uses problem solving skills Thinks of the system as a whole when analyzing data and making decisions Is able to utilize critical thinking skills in persuading others
- Business of Healthcare Delivery - Utilizes a working knowledge of health care economics and healthcare public policy as it applies to the delivery of patient care Understands the broad impact of reimbursement on the delivery of patient care services, including but not limited to Medicare, Managed care, Medicaid, third party providers, challenges to current health care policies, and key legislative initiatives at the local, state, and national level. Is involved in unit-department based budgeting and support of the budget. Maintains staffing and scheduling, and resource utilization within budgeted targets for the unit. Fosters patient, family, staff, and physician satisfaction. Understands the impact of dissatisfaction on the business goals of the unit.
- Technology - Demonstrates an understanding of the technology utilized on the unit. Is highly knowledgeable in the supply and medication management systems of the unit Appropriately integrates technology into the day-to-day care of the patient and leverage technology to improve patient care outcomes Uses basic computer skills such as word processing, data management, internet/email, and skills to access evidence - based information.
- Clinical Practice Knowledge - Is an expert in the clinical practice requirements of their unit. Mentors and precepts employees in the clinical practice requirements of the unit Assures appropriate application of clinical knowledge in the care of all patients Assesses patients for clinical need. Plans for delivery of care to the patient and evaluates the outcomes of care delivered in relation to clinical effectiveness Sets clear expectations in the delivery of clinical practice Adheres to models of care established for clinical practice Includes support services in the delivery of care Ensures that the patient experience is the focus of all services Assists the staff, nursing and support staff..... click apply for full job details