Surgical Technologist Intern
Posted on Feb 14, 2019 by CHI Health
Scheduled Hours per 2 week Pay Period: 0
Primary Location: NE > LINCOLN > ST ELIZABETH
Your time at work should be fulfilling. Rewarding. Inspiring. That's what you'll find when you join one of our non-profit CHI facilities across the nation. You'll find challenging, rewarding work every day alongside people who have as much compassion as you. Join us and together we'll create healthier, stronger communities. Imagine your career at Catholic Health Initiatives!
This position is for students who are enrolled in a Surgical Technology program who are interested in permanent employment upon graduation from an accredited program. Student must have completed their first two program quarters in the technology program and be a student in good standing. Will at all times work under direct supervision of a registered nurse.
Essential Job Functions
- With minimal assistance plans for and prepares necessary instruments, supplies and equipment required for surgical procedures.
- Demonstrates knowledge and technical skill in the care and use of instruments, supplies and equipment used to assist the physician in performing most surgical procedures.
- Assists in circulating duties with a registered nurse, as directed.
- With appropriate educational preparation the clinical assistant will be responsible for surgical technician duties under the direct supervision of the certified surgical technician or registered nurse. He or she may first scrub minor cases, may second scrub major cases, or may first scrub major cases with certified surgical technician direct supervision. The surgical technician assistant will never scrub alone.
- Assists with prepping patient for procedure as directed.
- Develops and maintains effective communication with patients, medical staff and hospital personnel.
- Assists in positioning and draping the patient for the appropriate procedure.
- Completes accurate sponge, needle and instrument counts with registered nurse.
- Performs scrub duties such as handing of instruments, holding retractors, cutting sutures, and maintaining a sterile field.
- High school graduate or the equivalent.
- Complete second quarter as a student in an accredited Surgical Technology program or first semester of accredited registered nursing program.
- CPR certification
- Enrolled in surgical career program including surgical technology program
- Requisition ID: 2019-R
- Schedule: Part-time
- Shift: Day Job