Lead Engineer - Amsterdam
Posted on Mar 17, 2019 by Elsevier
The Grant Warehouse (GWH) is our main content collection and processing platform for funding data within Elsevier. Its purpose is to ensure that the current and new use cases for funding data are supported by having the right data delivered by processes fitting within the reference architecture. The current GWH is deconstructed into the appropriate channels across the new architecture, ensures that the right data enters the architecture and supports harvesting, cleaning and enrichments operations to prepare the data for further use. Requirements for the Hubs/Schemas, knowledge graph to support the Use Cases , are assessed, shared with the relevant owners, and their build are time-scaled
More about the role:
This is an exciting opportunity to develop software using the best techniques available in a fast-moving product-centric environment. This new role will be a key part of a cross-functional product development group using agile management and engineering practices. You will provide personal, delivery and technical leadership to your team of developers, automation QAs and user experience designers.
If you join us in this role you will be working on a high-profile and business critical project which, for the right candidate, will offer an opportunity for career progression and may involve some international travel. The Lead Engineer will be working to build an environment focused on encouraging creativity and collaboration.
The ideal candidate will have worked as a technical lead or taken a leading role within a development team and can demonstrate the following skills:
- Great team skills, including the confidence to put your idea across, even if the idea is initially unpopular, and the humility to admit when you are wrong
- Servant-leader approach to your team supporting with team building, hiring and career guidance
- A positive, constructive approach with an emphasis on collaboration and flexibility
- A passion for all aspects of software development from design through refining
- Agile Scrum , ideally you are a Certified Scrum Master and have led all the standard Scrum ceremonies
- Willingness to learn new things and come up with practical, simple solutions to technical issues.
- Architect-level understanding of multi-tier web applications and services
- Experience influencing product roadmaps
Technical skills desired:
- Experience of leading teams in building RES T ful micro services and Data Engineering
- Data Architecture, Data Warehousing, Advanced Analytic, or Data Science implementations
- Broad working experience; ranging from user interface to database optimization.
- Coding experience with Java 7 or 8, Scala and scripting languages such as Python
- Knowledge of RDF , RDF S, OWL
- Knowledge of Hadoop/Spark ecosystem
- Continuous integration, ideally continuous deployment and tools like Jenkins , Jira , Maven , Terraform and use of Git source control
- Build Automation experience using common Java Build tools
- Familiarity with front and back end automation testing
- AWS development/deployment experience or similar cloud based platforms