Data Products Manager (m/f/d)
Posted on Apr 16, 2019 by Locarta GmbH
If you love diving into data and teasing out what it means for the real world, then read on. This job would be perfect for a relatively recent graduate who wants to move up the career ladder quickly.
What we do
Locarta is a company where big data is the main money-maker - not just a side-project. Our speciality is location analytics: we analyse where groups of people go in the real world and look for patterns and insights. We've developed several products around this, such as measuring advertising effectiveness, or: "Does Lidl advertising really send people to Lidl?".
To do so we have a market research panel of people who've agreed to share their location with us (all in accordance with data privacy law, of course). We're at over 2m users now, they send over 1bn data points per day and feed into products being used by 70% of the top retail brands in Germany. The current challenge is to smoothly scale the company as our customer base grows.
Currently we are 10 people, based in Berlin.
What you'll be doing
Our products are reports, and as Data Products Manager, you'll be responsible for putting them together from the raw data that our data science team generates. You'll be the one making sure that our analyses are digestible and useful for our customers. You'll translate between the worlds of data science and business strategy and be a key voice in deciding what is and isn't possible with our data. You'll work alongside the founders and have a front row seat to everything that's going on in a rapidly developing company.
- Teasing insights out of our data by crafting the raw outputs of the data science team into something that customers can understand
- Translating between the data and the business world, making sure that report designs are achievable and useful, and that the actual reports are of high quality
- Keeping Locarta's promises to its customers by making sure they get what they ordered, setting the report pipeline and liaising with the tech team to make sure deadlines are met
- Coming up with new ideas for products and analyses (one of the great things about location data is that there's so much you can do with it)
- Being a sounding board for the founders (who have founded a hedge fund, a Y Combinator-backed startup and worked at McKinsey) and participating in the discussions that shape the future of the company
You will also have the ability to shape this job. We appreciate you showing initiative - and will give you as much responsibility as you can handle.
You should be
- A data geek who loves numbers; you're an Excel expert or know your way around at least one database solution (coding or Tableau is also a big plus). You can manipulate data and tease out its real-world, practical implications
- Structured, organised and detail-oriented - you love fitting the world into frameworks, and it annoys you when others don't. You often pick up on details that others have missed
- A hustler who isn't afraid to get your hands dirty - you want results, not just theories. You like to shape the world around you, rather than vice versa. You're at your most comfortable having the freedom to work out what needs changing - and then just doing it
- Good at building relationships with other people (our customers and team) and can be persuasive when required
- A digital native who's always thinking about how technology can be improved, is curious and has broad interests. When you have computer trouble you can usually figure out the solution yourself
- A fluent English speaker (important!). Being a native German speaker is also a plus
How we're different
- We go out of our way to keep people happy, which in our experience takes two things: giving you as much responsibility as you can take and making sure you have opportunities to learn new skills and technologies
- We're a relatively early-stage startup, which is honestly the most fun time. It's when the big decisions get made and the most interesting problems need to be solved. It also means things stay varied and interesting
- Our product requires a few great people rather than many good ones. Joining our team will give you lots of opportunities to shape the company from the early days on
- This is not our first rodeo: between us, we've started a hedge fund, done Y Combinator and worked for the UN and McKinsey. We've seen enough of the business world to know
- We're at the forefront of a space that's about to explode: location analytics is just starting to get really big in the US, while in Europe there are still fewer players
- We are all applied scientists - everything we do is data-driven
- We have a world-class team of investors and advisors
This rocket ship is going to Mars - claim your seat!