Annual Giving Manager
Posted on May 17, 2019 by United Church of Christ, National Setting
GENERAL PURPOSE OF POSITION:
The Annual Giving Manager's primary responsibility will be planning, executing, and managing a comprehensive annual fund and annual giving program. The manager will engage in personal interactions with prospects and donors as well as plan and present donor recognition and fundraising events.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Take a leadership role in supporting the Development Strategist in building a strong, growing, multi-faceted, and deeply engaging annual giving program for the United Church of Christ. Currently, the annual giving program is primarily comprised of an Annual Fund, Our Church's Wider Mission and four Special Mission Offerings, and Giving Tuesday.
- Prepare and submit detailed fundraising plans for all annual giving activities to the Development Strategist, which include the strategy and plan for the execution of the solicitation and acknowledgement process.
- Plan and direct the employee giving campaign by working with appropriate internal departments and employees to create a comprehensive program that creates a culture of philanthropy and educates the national setting as to the philanthropic needs of the United Church of Christ.
- Maintain contact with key annual giving donors, ensuring the implementation of a carefully orchestrated cycle of requests that are sensitized to the needs and preferences of donors and prospects and that sync with the segmentation structure of the development function of the UCC.
- Work in conjunction with other UCC offices to create and manage the promotional and solicitation components of the Special Mission Offerings with an eye toward growing the 5for5 program (a special designation program for churches that participate in all five special mission offerings).
- Work with Development Strategist, guide and participate in the creation of all annual giving collateral and content (such as solicitation and acknowledgment letters), including working with the web and digital strategy team to craft effective solicitations for audience engagement, conversion, and stewardship.
- Take a leadership role in data segmentation for purposes of customizing annual appeals. Update database as changes are discovered.
- Manage an assigned portfolio of annual donors and work collaboratively with major donor staff to hand off annual donors with capacity and passion for deeper philanthropic engagement. Contribute to prospect research activities.
- Under direction of the Development Strategist, plan and execute at least 4 annual special and/or church stewardship events in person throughout the country and virtually using telecommunications technology. Play a key role in the teams presence at General Synod, a biannual national gathering of the United Church of Christ.
- Work alongside and under the direction of the Development Strategist, oversee the organization of all special events that support the philanthropic endeavors of the UCC's annual giving and other special fundraising efforts.
- Other responsibilities as assigned.
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills and/or abilities required to perform successfully in this position.
- A college degree in a related field or equivalent experience, and at least 3 years experience managing a growing annual giving program.
- Stay abreast of emerging creative approaches and innovations in annual giving.
- Experience organizing donor stewardship events.
- Experience in the philosophy and practice of philanthropy in the non-profit sector and demonstrated ability to work in the area of annual giving programs.
- Demonstrated experience developing and establishing replicable processes for sustained growth in annual giving.
- Demonstrated credibility necessary to influence and tactfully manage relationships with internal and external constituencies. Demonstrated excellent written and verbal communication skills; excellent interpersonal skills.
- Affinity for working collaboratively to develop and execute agreed upon strategy for annual giving.
- Ability to manage multiple priorities and relate to a variety of diverse stakeholders.
- Regularly scheduled travel within the United States for sometimes up to one week or more.
- Commitment to and theological understanding of mission, stewardship, and philanthropy.
- Understanding of the polity and structures of the United Church of Christ.
- Desire and sensitivity to work in diverse racial, ethnic, cultural and religious settings with commitment to diversity in the workplace as well as in one's understanding of mission.
- Ability to maintain and properly handle confidential or sensitive information.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office applications and Raiser's Edge.
This job description is not intended to be a complete list of all duties and responsibilities required for the position and is subject to review and change at any time in accordance with the needs of the ministry. Since no job description can detail all duties and responsibilities that may be required from time to time in the performance of a position, duties and responsibilities that may be inherent in a position shall also be considered part of the position holder's responsibility.
It is expected that the person who holds this position will conduct themselves in a manner consistent with the policies of the UCC and in a manner that will reflect positively on the organization. All staff are encouraged to nurture safety within the work performed on behalf of the UCC by being attentive to self-care, education, maintaining appropriate boundaries, and the importance of referring those in need to supportive and helpful resources.
Comprehensive Benefits Package Employer paid health, dental, life insurance, and pension benefits Application Deadline Open until filled About the Organization The United Church of Christ
Our faith is 2000 years old. Our thinking is not.
We believe in God's Continuing Testament.
We believe in Extravagant Welcome
We believe the church's mission is to Change Lives