Data Scientist Lead
Posted on Jun 14, 2019 by AAA Texas
Teamwork. Integrity. Dedication.
Together, we make a difference.
If you are a career-minded, service-driven professional looking to join a fast paced organization then you have come to the right place. AAA is a member service organization affiliated with the national AAA network. With offices across the U.S., we're united by common mission and common values of excellent member service. With more than 14,000 employees in 21 states, we provide legendary service to 16 million loyal members. With a constantly growing membership, we are always welcoming dedicated professionals looking to challenge themselves and build a career within our dynamic organization. You will find that being part of a very successful team is extremely rewarding.
The Lead Data Scientist is a member of the leadership team in the Big Data department. The lead is able to lead specific tasks and drive a whole project from inception to completion on the operations side. The lead effectively communicates with Business and IT partners to plan and achieve project initiatives. The lead is committed to managing projects according to accelerated timelines and ensuring all analysts under its stewardship have the resources needed to complete tasks on time.
1. Identify proper data sources necessary for projects and ensure they are accurately imported and joined. Create execution plan and assist analysts in their efforts to implement.
2. Identify proper analytic methodology and ensure analytic efforts are executed correctly. Create execution plans and assist analysts in efforts to implement
3. Ensure all projects have proper documentation taking into account potential regulatory, legal, or business concerns
4. Fully lead analysts functionally including division of tasks/resources across projects and ensuring analysts are productive and grow.
5. Lead communication of project results/challenges to business partners in ways they can understand. Proactive communication of delays to planned efforts.
6. Ensure project tasks are fully planned including understanding of how implementation affects other units, how to measure results, how to achieve the expected benefit, etc.
7. Identify and propose new technologies and tools that could benefit the Big Data team.
- Minimum Bachelor's degree in a quantitative or technical field (math, statistics, computer science) with Master's degree preferred
- 5+ years experience in a traditional data or analytics corporate environment
- Strong SQL skills
- R, Python, Tableau familiarity (expertise in at least 1)
- Knowledge of Hadoop, Distributed Systems, and Big Data ecosystem
- Able to rapidly learn new processes/subjects
- Innovative mindset with demonstrated creativity or innovation in some past work experience preferred
- Demonstrated leadership abilities, whether in a formal or informal role
- Ability to understand the big picture and drive the initiatives the lead to completion of the overall big picture
- Ability to work in cross-functional/departmental groups and keep multiple moving pieces straight
- Mentor and assist analysts in their respective functions and responsibilities.
Our comprehensive and employee centric training facility located in Costa Mesa provides training programs to help employees acquire various skills necessary to do their jobs and to support career development.
· Health Coverage for Medical, Dental, Vision
· Paid time off including Vacation, Illness and Holidays
· Life Insurance
· Disability Coverage
· 401k Savings Plan
· Employee Discounts
· Career opportunities across multiple business lines and states
"Creating members for life by exceeding our members' expectations through valuable products and legendary service."
AAA is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
The Automobile Club of Southern California will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment pursuant to the Los Angeles Fair Chance Ordinance.