Account Manager- Life Sciences
Posted on Jun 14, 2019 by Ecolab
What if you could have the best of both worlds…be part of small startup business and work within a big global company? Deliver end-to-end solutions to global customers in the fast-changing Pharmaceutical and Health & Beauty industries? Are you someone that is energized by building something new? Are you flexible and innovative? Do you enjoy being part of a global team? The Account Manager position is the perfect blend of all these opportunities.
At Ecolab Life Sciences, we understand a customer's challenges. Ecolab's personalized end-to-end solutions focus on ensuring product quality and safety in cleaning, sanitation and contamination control areas while improving operational efficiency .
Make an impact. Build the career you've always wanted. Join our team and experience more.
Program, Product and Systems Sales and Expertise
- Complete a paid training program that includes job shadowing, structured field activities, and customized classroom style training
- Upon completion of training (estimated 6-12 months), you will manage your own territory as an Account Manager (relocation may be necessary)
- Deliver creative programs and product-based solutions to customer cleaning and sanitation problems using a results-driven approach, which is aligned with global Corporate Account management objectives
- Build a solid understanding of Ecolab products, plant operations, customer business objectives, and regulations under which customers operate in order to partner with customers to identify and implement solutions that advance customer efficiency and effectiveness.
- Evaluate existing customer programs and processes based on observations and collected data, and identify operational efficiencies related to time, cost, safety and quality
- Provide expertise in clean room, sanitation, safety, quality and operations
- Service the plant primarily during normal business hours
- Create a personalized approach to the operational needs using an agile set of skills and resources including support of the change management process and validation of the new solution
- Illustrate a passion for this business knowing our customers have their brand and reputation at risk
- Identify the needs and customer pain point based on industry best practices and assessment results
- Prepare and present recommendations for products, processes and program changes using a compelling business case. Provide business case support that the customer can use with other stakeholders during the change management approval process
- Develop and manage a multi-faceted execution plan jointly with customer stakeholders
- Respond in a very timely manner to customers' requests. In Life Sciences, customers expect quick turn-around for information and support
- Develop strong personal relationships with stakeholders and functional personnel across the customer facility
- Identify key customer contacts and decision makers
- Communicate effectively with individuals at all levels of the organization, including production, quality, supervisory, management, office and corporate staff, by tailoring communications to the audience
- Engage all levels of plant personnel appropriately in decision making processes
- Maintain availability to customers providing accurate contact information, and responding promptly to customer requests
- Build strong professional networks and appropriately leverage contacts to establish and/or maintain business
- Ensure introduction of key Ecolab employees to appropriate customer management team
- Maintain active membership with trade and industrial associations
Managing Ecolab Products and Equipment
- Respond promptly to customer needs and requests at all times, including evenings and weekends.
- Troubleshoot issues with Ecolab products, equipment and resources
- Monitor product inventory and assist with order placement (if needed)
- Design and deliver individual and group training programs based on customer needs
Planning and Organizing
- Provide planning and execution in support of change management/conversions.
- Work closely with the Regional Sales Manager to establish personal goals and objectives for sales and service performance.
- Develop strategic work plans for completing sales and service calls with new and existing customers; appropriately adjust plans and schedules to accommodate changing priorities and urgent requests.
- Prepare compelling reports during every service call at a plant and merchandise the value delivered and documented in the report, through Best Practice Assessments (BPAs).
- Develop tracking systems, presentations, and reports. Share innovations with other Account Managers.
- Complete and manage internal and external documentation including, business plans, service reports, progress reports and project plans.
Work Environment and Hours
Account Managers complete the majority of their work in pharmaceutical and health & beauty plants, working closely with plant staff at all levels. While historically, the majority of the service hours will be during normal business hours, Account Managers develop their sales and service schedules to meet the needs of their customers. Additionally, you are available to customers via mobile phone outside of normal working hours. Account Managers use a home office setting with company provided computer equipment and mobile phone to complete business tasks. A company vehicle is also provided to Account Managers to travel to the various plant locations within your territory.
- 2+ years of experience working in the pharmaceutical industry
- Proven sales record with experience managing a sales territory
- General mechanical ability
- Valid driver's license and acceptable motor vehicle record (2 years)
- Examples of both top and bottom line management
- Exceptional interpersonal, communication, and presentation skills
- Ability to travel by car throughout a geographic territory, including periodic overnight travel
- Ability to work outside regular working hours
- Strong computer skills including MS Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook)
- BS/BA degree in engineering, chemistry, biology or related
- 2 years' experience in manufacturing or selling into manufacturing environments
- 2+ years of experience working within the personal care industry.
- 5 years' experience in pharmaceutical or health & beauty manufacturing industries
- Desire to succeed in a competitive environment
- Proven track record of aligning expertise in areas most impactful to the customer
- Ability to take initiative, work independently and prioritize multiple projects with strong follow-through and organizational skills
Our Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion
At Ecolab, we believe the best teams are diverse and inclusive, and we are on a journey to create a workplace where every associate can grow and achieve their best. We are committed to fair and equal treatment of associates and applicants. We recruit, hire, promote, transfer and provide opportunities for advancement on the basis of individual qualifications and job performance. In all matters affecting employment, compensation, benefits, working conditions, and opportunities for advancement, we will not discriminate against any associate or applicant for employment because of race, religion, color, creed, national origin, citizenship status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expressions, genetic information, marital status, age, disability, or status as a covered veteran.
In addition, we are committed to furthering the principles of Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) through Affirmative Action (AA). Our goal is to fully utilize minority, female, disabled and covered veteran individuals at all levels of the workforce. Ecolab is a place where you can grow your career, own your future and impact what matters.