Systems Engineering - Network Design
Posted on Jun 14, 2019 by Harris Corporation
Job Title - Systems Engineering - Network Design
Job Location - Rochester, NY
Job Code - CS-29354
Harris Corporation is a leading technology innovator, solving customers' toughest mission-critical challenges by providing solutions that connect, inform and protect. Harris supports government and commercial customers in more than 100 countries and has approximately $6 billion in annual revenue. The company is organized into three business segments: Communication Systems, Space and Intelligence Systems and Electronic Systems. Learn more at harris.com
The candidate will be responsible for the design and development of systems, operational concepts and network architectures for integrated tactical communication systems. Business requirements include being an internal expert/ networking consultant to Engineering, Product Management, Sales teams and our customers in the field. Strong communications skills, interpersonal skills coupled with an appreciation and interest in growing the System Engineering networking team are required. Technical requirements include an in-depth knowledge of IP networking, network architecture and system design, practical application of principles and techniques of IP networking, network security, IP networking integration with tactical radio networks, integration with tactical wireless radio and wired IP networks and integration of 3rd party applications and solutions.
As part of this role, the successful candidate will be required to work in a fast-paced, dynamic environment executing tasks over a variety of programs and proposal related activities to meet business needs. Tasking will include/require:
- Act as the network engineer on teams which are responsible for proposal development, system/network architecture, system development, system design and/or solution deliveries.
- Work directly with Program Management and Sales Teams on business and customer objectives and requirements.
- Ability, technical expertise and skillset to design and implement a tactical network from high level requirements and integrate third party solutions to meet customer requirements.
- Perform product analysis, test design, development, execution and development of test tools to aid in test execution.
- Ability to troubleshoot networking issues at all layers, including proficient knowledge/use of the latest test/debug tools used to analyze network connectivity and traffic flow.
- Excellent debugging and problem-solving skills with network systems, an understanding and proven track record of resolving hardware/software integration issues.
Successful candidate will possess excellent technical, interpersonal and customer skills, plus demonstrate the capacity to effectively foster team building within and beyond his/her work group.
- BS in Electrical or Computer Engineering, Network Engineering, Computer Science or related field or equivalent work experience with minimum of 4 years of prior technical experience
- Working knowledge of networking concepts with a minimum of 4 years of relevant experience particularly with network integrated solutions. Experience managing WAN/LAN solutions.
- Experience with tactical and RF communication products is highly desirable
- Practical networking design and implementation experience with integrated solutions
- Experience in working with third party vendors to influence product directions and integrate the solutions
- US citizenship required
Preferred Additional Skills:
- Cisco CCNA Routing and Switching Certification is a plus
- Familiarity with wireless networking and tactical wideband networking is highly desirable.
- Experience with Face-to-Face customer interactions
- Enjoys working with people, developing relationships, and sharing knowledge
- Willingness to mentor and cross-train other team members
Please be aware that many of our positions require a security clearance, or the ability to obtain one. Security clearances may only be granted to U.S. citizens. In addition, applicants who accept a conditional offer of employment may be subject to government security investigation(s) and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information.
By submitting your résumé for this position, you understand and agree that Harris Corporation may share your résumé, as well as any other related personal information or documentation you provide, with its subsidiaries and affiliated companies for the purpose of considering you for other available positions.
Harris is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. We consider applicants without regard to race, color, religion, age, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, disability, genetic information, citizenship status, or membership in any other group protected by federal, state or local law.
Candidates will support Environment, Health and Safety by fulfilling the Harris EHS Policy, complying with Harris EHS programs and applicable regulations, and striving for continual EHS improvement.