Posted on Jun 16, 2019 by Colas
Sloan Construction, a company of Reeves Construction Company, has been a key partner in the infrastructure growth of the Southeast since the company's founding in Americus, Georgia, in 1955. For more than a half-century, Reeves Construction has expanded to meet the needs of the region as the demands for improved infrastructure increase. As we've grown, Reeves has formed new partnerships and branched out to new subsidiaries from Sloan Construction in South Carolina and North Carolina, R.B. Baker Construction in Georgia and Florida, to Southeast Emulsion in South Carolina and Georgia to meet transportation construction needs from heavy construction services, excavation and site work, to underground utilities, bridge construction, and asphalt paving and materials supply. Reeves Construction Company is a complete maintenance and rehabilitation company dedicated to meet the specific needs of the roadway, airport, bridge, and military maintenance market. Reeves prides itself as a leader in the transportation construction industry, not only for its quality products, but also for its high company standards of safety and performance. Our company's success is based on a foundation of exceptional accomplishments, with an eye on innovation for the future.
The Project Engineer acts as the liaison between field operations and office management. The majority of this position's time will be spent onsite assisting the Superintendent. The Field Engineer is responsible for the control and management of the projects field layout and quantity tracking and quality checks for assigned projects. This position is responsible for assisting the Project Manager and Superintendent to see that the projects are built safety, on schedule and within budget while ensuring optimal quality to the client. Other duties may be assigned from time to time by Project Manager and/or Superintendent as required.
EXPERIENCE AND EDUCATION
Candidates must possess a degree in Engineering or Construction Management from an accredited university. Relevant work experience may be used in place of education. Candidates applying through work experience (non-degreed candidates) must possess 1+ years of experience in heavy civil construction projects ranging in size from $1mil to over $100mil. Working knowledge of structure construction (bridges and walls) is preferred. Candidates should possess one or more of the following:
- Degree from an accredited university in Construction Management or Engineering or:
- Experience in structure construction involving multiple simultaneous bridges and walls.
- Experience in structure construction on large water bridges involving barge and trestle work.
- Experience in roadway construction for projects over $10mil.
- Experience in field survey, layout of structures and/or quantity tracking.
- Experience in quantity takeoffs and general estimating principals.
- Experience in using JD Edwards and HCSS Heavy Job/Heavy Bid.
- Assist the Superintendent in layout and quantity tracking for each major operation.
- Constantly strive to improve leadership and management capability and performance, and to acquire additional knowledge, skills and ability through study and personal development to qualify for positions of greater responsibility.
- Assist the Superintendent with planning, training and compliance with Reeves'
- Safety Program for the project.
- Be familiar with and aggressively comply with Reeves' Affirmative Action Program
- Advise the Superintendent and Personnel Department of any written warnings given to or injuries reported by employees.
- Confer with the proper party to ensure that all lines and grades will be established before construction operations are to begin in each area.
- Confer with the Project Manager and Superintendent and under their direction and assistance, prepare a schedule and necessary updates of construction activities and their sequence, the organization structure and staff selection, and the manpower and construction equipment requirements of the project.
- Review delivery dates of suppliers and starting dates of subcontractors to assure that they are coordinated with the project construction schedule.
- Maintain a daily diary to permanently record all significant project facts, events, conditions, visitors, subcontractor contracts, owner representative contacts, commitments, agreements and approvals. Review this diary on a weekly basis with the Superintendent and Project Engineer.
- Attend and document the daily JHA and Toolbox Talk meetings with crews.
- Utilize the PDCA principle and assist the Superintendent in keeping the project on schedule and maintaining bid profit.
- Inform all supervisors and subcontractors promptly of any construction schedule changes.
- Cooperate with the owner and his representatives.
- Maintain production records and charts.
- Report regularly to the Project Manager to keep him/her constantly informed of job progress, plans and problems that could significantly affect costs or schedules.
- Review and verify, on a weekly basis, the quantity of work being performed with the Project Manager to ensure accurate billings.
- Verify that all invoices and delivery tickets are correctly assigned to the proper cost code.
- Consult with the foreman to ensure that all quantities are accurate and dependable.
- Inform the Project Manager of any extra or additional work that is to be performed for any situation.
- Perform any engineering required on the project (i.e. drawings, calculations, layout checks, etc.)
- Become familiar with all company policies and adhere strictly to them in all activities and dealings, and assist in making all employees aware of them and that the employees are conforming to them in their activities.
- Assist the Project Superintendent in adherence to the company's environmental program in all phases and areas of the project.
- Carry out any additional responsibilities assigned by the Project Manager or Superintendent.
- Ability to lift and manipulate objects up to 80 lbs for 50 feet is required.
- Ability to work at heights up to and above 10 feet.
- 99% of time is spent working at heavy construction job sites.
- Some driving is required.
If you need accommodation to access the information provided on this website, please contact Sloan Construction at or send an e-mail to: .
Sloan Construction will not discriminate or retaliate against applicants who inquire about, disclose, or discuss their compensation or that of other applicants. For more information, please click here .