Engineering Design Manager (Design Group)
Posted on Jun 18, 2019 by Barry Wehmiller
About Us:Design Group operates from 45+ offices in the US and India providing engineering, consulting, and technical services to the world's leading companies in the Food & Beverage, Life Sciences, Advanced Technology, Industrial, and other market sectors. Our 1500+ technical and engineering experts have direct industry experience in industrial automation, control system integration, facility and process engineering, architecture, construction management, regulatory compliance, enterprise technology, and other consulting services.
Barry-Wehmiller is a diversified global supplier of engineering consulting and manufacturing technology for the packaging, corrugating, sheeting and paper-converting industries. By blending people-centric leadership with disciplined operational strategies and purpose-driven growth, Barry-Wehmiller has become a $3 billion organization with nearly 12,000 team members united by a common belief: to use the power of business to build a better world.
The overall role of the Design Manager is to lead and mentor a Portland, OR based Design Team of approximately 16 professionals. The team includes Architectural, Structural, Mechanical, Electrical, Process and I&C disciplines.
The primary goal of the Design Team is to produce First of a Kind (FOK) designs and construction drawings that meet our clients' specific needs, with a high level of quality, in the most efficient manner.
A partial list of responsibilities for the Design Manager are outlined below.
- Lead a team of professional engineers, architects and A/E designers who define design criteria, lead scope definition and justification, and develop design concepts.
- Partner with client stakeholders in the development of scope, programming level design, and final design.
- Lead development of more detailed scope through field walks and collaboration with facilities operations partners and project engineers
- Provide daily administration of the staff in setting workload priorities for all projects.
- Offer best in class design solutions, utilizing real world examples, means, and methods.
- Manage overall project scope, schedule, and cost of engineering.
- Interface with facilities staff and project managers.
- Work with estimators to ensure costs are captured and project budgets are met.
- Ensure implementation of change control process to improve standards and drive innovative solutions.
- Ensure Document Control Processes are followed and maintained, utilizing the latest Design Specifications available.
- Mentor staff to improve their body of knowledge and capabilities in alignment with the office and overall firm goals.
- Encourage the individual growth and improvement of the capabilities of each member of the Design Team. Look for and offer opportunities for growth and advancement of team members.
- Actively lead design coordination across all disciplines.
- Monitor productivity throughout the design development process.
- Ensure that the Design Team has a full understanding of the scope and client expectations communicated at project kickoffs and meetings.
- Ensure timely and thorough design coordination occurs with all members of the Design Team and, at a minimum, at the design progress milestones.
- Recognize when extra or out-of-scope engineering work is being requested or performed. Assist the Project Managers and Discipline Leads with change management.
- Actively participate in the review of all design deliverables to ensure the production of the highest quality work product. Review and mark up drawing sets and specifications.
- Identify root causes for these errors or omissions in the drawings and specifications and take corrective action to address the root causes with the Design Team.
- Minimum 3 years of experience managing multi-discipline design teams in an A&E environment.
- Minimum 10 years of experience in the design and production of complete issue-for-permit and issue-for-construction drawing packages in an A&E environment.
- Experience in the design of manufacturing facilities for advanced technology, semiconductor is desirable.
- Experience with engineering design in the following areas desired: Process engineering, pumps, valves, flow calculations; Mechanical facilities engineering, HVAC, exhaust, chillers, boilers and compressor systems; Electrical engineering drawings & calculations, low and medium voltage power, load flow analysis; Instrumentation & Controls, measurement of temperature, pressure, flow, humidity using GE, Siemens and Rockwell hardware and software; Facilities water systems or waste systems including chemical piping, neutralization, filtration, pumps, valves, flow calculations, testing; Facilities bulk chemical and or gas delivery systems.
- Experience with multi-discipline large capital projects involving Owners, General Contractors, Contractors, and System Integrators.
- Excellent Understanding of Design/Build (Engineering and Construction)
- Familiar with facilities document control systems
- Experience as Engineer or Architect of record.
- Excellent communication skills, interpersonal skills and ability to interact effectively with team members and clients.
- Excellent computer skills including, MS Office, MS Project, BlueBeam.
- Software: AutoCAD, Revit and NavisWorks experience
- We are licensed for facility engineering across the United States. Engineering Managers can expect 15% travel to project sites, collaborate with design professionals in other offices, for training and other purposes.
- BS degree in Mechanical, Electrical, Civil, Structural or Architectural Engineering from an ABET accredited school is required.
- MS in a related field is highly desired.
- Professional Engineer or Architect Licensure is required.
Barry-Wehmiller is an equal opportunity employer. M/F/D/V This organization uses E-Verify.
Applicants may be subject to pre-employment screening which may include drug screening, reference checks, employment verifications, background screening and/or skills assessments.