Business Intelligence (BI) Analyst
Posted on Sep 12, 2019 by University of Iowa
Stead Technology in the Tippie College of Business, seeks a Business Intelligence (BI) Analyst to join our team to assist in the data analysis and support needs of the Tippie College of Business. This will include collecting, analyzing, and interpreting data that both inform College-level strategic planning efforts and resource allocation decisions as well as allow the College to assess and improve the effectiveness of its core teaching and research activities.
The results of these analyses will be presented clearly and concisely, in written, oral, and graphical formats, to members of the College administration and internal and external agencies.
The successful applicant will demonstrate the ability to work with quantitative metrics that are commonly used to evaluate the productivity and performance of both individual faculty members and academic departments in a large, heterogeneous, and multidisciplinary college.
In addition, the applicant will work with faculty and graduate students, training them on appropriate software packages to assist in their research endeavors. Examples of application to used utilized are Tableau, SPSS, and SAS.
The University of Iowa offers an exceptional benefits package and many other support resources to help employees balance with professional and personal lives.
Key Areas of Responsibility:
Business Requirements and Analysis:
- Collaborate with internal customers/stakeholders to define and document data, analytics and modeling requirements.
Reporting and Visualization (front end):
- Assist in the preparation, cleansing, and verification of data.
- Fulfill ad-hoc data requests.
- Perform basic data manipulation and analysis techniques.
- Create reports and schedule data extracts.
- Document data analytics solutions and models.
- Connect stakeholders to existing solutions.
- Provide first-tier end-user support and training for data solutions and platforms.
Architecture (back end):
- Document data sources, transformations, and models.
- Administer and support scheduled data reports and ETL processes.
Statistical and Mathematical Modeling:
- Basic understanding of statistics and data analytics.
- Contribute ideas. Seek ways to improve assigned processes.
There is an expectation that the person in this position will maintain effective, civil, and respectful working relationships with the University of Iowa campus community and uphold a high standard of cultural competency and respect for difference that represents the Tippie College of Business' commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
Successful candidates will be subject to a credential and criminal background check.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Data Analytics, or an equivalent combination of education and experience is required.
- Typically 1-3 years of experience in analyzing data and generating institutional summaries, reports, and analysis.
- Working knowledge and experience in using relational databases effectively.
- Basic knowledge & experience in statistical analysis using standard statistical packages (such as SPSS, SAS, R), data mining and business intelligence software.
- Basic knowledge & experience in software such as Tableau for data representation.
- Basic knowledge & experience in effectively using queries and custom processes to extract data for analysis from appropriate databases to achieve required results.
- Basic knowledge & experience in utilizing written and verbal communication skills to provide excellent communication with internal and external customers.
- Basic knowledge & experience in problem-solving and critical analysis capabilities.
- Typically two or more years of experience using quantitative methods to characterize data populations and using software for data aggregation, analysis, and presentation.
- Experience determining information needs and desired analysis by interviewing those requesting data collection and reporting.
- Experience analyzing data into information summaries for program improvement.
- Experience in a University environment.
- Excellent organizational skills.
The University of Iowa is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration for employment free from discrimination on the basis of race, creed, color, national origin, age, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, religion, associational preference, status as a qualified individual with a disability, or status as a protected veteran.
Set up alerts to get notified of new vacancies.
$80k - $80k Annual