Infrastructure MEP Construction Program Manager (Hyperscale Data Cente
Posted on Sep 12, 2019 by CBRE
The "Data Center Program Manager" manages global program upgrade/retrofit projects impacting the critical infrastructure and MEPS Infrastructure for the client's data center portfolio. The DC PM leads complex, multi-disciplinary projects and is responsible for identifying the program requirements, engaging with internal customers and supporting the program through the entire project lifecycle.
● Manage the upgrades/retrofit construction project program process administration across the data center portfolio. Focus is on ability to lead multiple projects at one time over multiple global locations
● Develop program budget, cash flow and commitment and get approval on spend working with the client's Cost Control team
● Lead cross-functional teams and manage multiple simultaneous programs with competing priorities simultaneously
● Engage with technical experts and key stakeholders to initiate new programs, including developing program documentation
● Develop and maintain key stakeholder and technical expert relationships
● Identify process and communications gaps, while developing and driving solutions to implement data center programs
● Manage and grow relationships between cross-functional teams. Work with the technical experts and key stakeholders to continually improve communications between the cross-function teams
● Draft program reporting for client management reviews, including providing health of program schedule, budget, and performance, identifying key risks and program opportunities
● Update quarterly forecast, budget spend status and get management approval on funding requests
● Drive improvement in the upgrade/retrofit program processes and documentation/ workflow through stakeholder feedback and/or based on measurement of important metrics
● Develop plans for improved field execution and delivery across project constraints of schedule, productivity, and costs
● Provide project execution guidance throughout end-to-end project lifecycle with ability to assess potential construction workarounds to avoid project slips
* Lead team, including key stakeholders / project controls team / Contractor(s) / A&E design team to create and establish the 1) Master Project Schedule, based on the Critical Path and key milestones and 2) Master Project Budget, including soft costs and hard costs
* Evaluate technical issues and develop potential solutions for review with key stakeholders
* Supports Design Team activities by participating in schematic and design development reviews
* Support data center site teams as needed with contractor pre-qualification, bid solicitation, bid analysis and recommendations
* Participates in constructability reviews of the project documents
* Provide input to site teams on Value Engineering efforts
* Lead project teams in developing, assessing, and evaluating program and project risks
* Manage program costs and change controls
* Manage program dashboards and monthly program updates. The PM is responsible for securing updates from site teams and coordinating
* Develop and maintain lessons learned log for programs
* Coordinate Value Engineering
* Ensure program level document control processes are in place
* Ensure QA/QC is being followed and report any issues/gaps
* Coordination and management of all Owner-direct vendors working with supply chain and consultants
* Establish close out documentation requirements and distribute to site teams
* Other duties as assigned.
Provides formal supervision to individual employees within single functional or operational area. Approves subordinate's recommendations for staff recruitment, selection, promotion, advancement, corrective action and termination. Effectively recommends same for direct reports to next level management for review and approval. Plans and monitors appropriate staffing levels and utilization of labor, including overtime.
Prepares and delivers performance appraisal for staff. Mentors and coaches team members to further develop competencies. Leads by example and models behaviors that are consistent with the company's values.
Manages 3rd party project delivery resources/team (typically larger more experienced team). Responsible for identifying training needs, tracking performance, coaching, and motivating team members.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and EXPERIENCE
Bachelor's Degree in Electrical Engineering or Mechanical Engineering, or a related construction management field.
Minimum (6) six years of related experience and/or training.
Prior experience in a supervisory position (direct report responsibilities) required if specific duties include direct report responsibilities.
● Technical Project Management or Coordination
● Experience with construction related to data center construction or heavy industrial work involving complex mechanical and electrical systems
● Standard business applications and tools
○ Google Docs, Sheets, Slides, Drive, Drawings, Hangouts, etc.
○ Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint
● Scheduling application: Primavera P6 is an advantage
CERTIFICATES and/or LICENSES
PMP (US and/or Canada) and LEED AP preferred.
Ability to comprehend, analyze, and interpret the most complex business documents. Ability to respond effectively to the most sensitive issues. Ability to write reports, manuals, speeches and articles using distinctive style. Ability to make effective and persuasive presentations on complex topics to employees, clients, top management and/or public groups. Ability to motivate and negotiate effectively with key employees, top management, and client groups to take desired action.
Requires in-depth knowledge of financial terms and principles. Ability to calculate complex figures. Ability to forecast and prepare budgets. Conducts financial/business analysis including the preparation of reports.
Ability to solve advanced problems and deal with a variety of options in complex situations. Requires expert level analytical and quantitative skills with proven experience in developing strategic solutions for a growing matrix-based multi-industry sales environment. Draws upon the analysis of others and makes recommendations that have a direct impact on the company.
OTHER SKILLS and ABILITIES
Intermediate skills with Microsoft Office Suite. Ability to read and understand architectural drawings. Knowledge in MS Project, leases, contracts, and construction practices.
SCOPE OF RESPONSIBILITY
Decisions made with in-depth understanding and interpretation of procedures, company policies and business practices to achieve general results. Responsible for setting department deadlines. Errors in judgment may cause long-term impact to co-workers, supervisor, department and/or line of business.