Registered Nurse - Med/Surg Float Pool
Posted on Sep 12, 2019 by Waterbury Health Network
Department: Floats Req Num: 8588 Schedule: Per Diem Shift: Rotating Hours: Per Diem Hours Per Pay Period: Job Details:
SCOPE OF POSITION:
The Registered Nurse in the Medical -Surgical Float Pool utilizes the nursing process, diagnoses to treat human responses to actual or potential problems and is accountable to the patient, family and peers for the totality of work performed in order that the organization can fulfill its primary mission of providing quality health care within the community. Population serviced includes adult, geriatric patients and upon occasion, adolescents. This position will be required to float to Inpatient Medical, Inpatient Surgical (including Observation), Inpatient Ortho/Neuro and Telemetry. May float to other units/specialties based upon skills, experience and competencies. Reports to the Patient Care Manager.
Develop and implement a plan of care and demonstrate leadership to ensure all patient/family needs are met. Monitor patients before, during and after surgery and/or procedures to provide safe, efficient care. Evaluate the plan of care and the patient's responses: reassess and revise the plan based upon changing needs and priorities.
Demonstrate the skill and judgment necessary to implement Physician's orders, nursing interventions and procedures as necessary for the care of the patient.
Maintain up to date and accurate documentation of nursing care provided to insure the integration of information for use by the health care team and to insure the totality of quality care.
Promote effective working relationships and work cooperatively as part of the department team to facilitate the department's ability to meet its goal and objectives. Contributes to Quality Improvement activities and participates in the departmental Quality Improvement Program.
Responsible for own professional development to insure appropriate knowledge of advances in practice to provide state of the art treatment for patient population serviced.
Perform other related duties as required.
Primarily responsible for the delivery of coordinated nursing care for a patient or an assigned group of patients within an assigned unit and for the day-to-day management and supervision of the related clinical activities
Accountable for coordinating the plan of care with the patient, family and interdisciplinary team
Responsible for supervising and directing the activities of ancillary personnel, utilizing both professional and supervisory discretion, independent decision making, and critical judgment
- Graduate of an accredited Nursing ( RN ) Program
- Licensed Registered Nurse in the State of Connecticut
- Medical/Surgical experience preferred.
- ACLS ( must obtain within the first 6 months of employment/transfer)
- Intravenous therapy experience preferred (included starting IV's)
- Good communication skills.
- Ability to work as a member of an interdisciplinary team
- Ability to work in a time oriented environment including exposure to all patient elements, ie blood borne pathogens, physical requirements; lifting and pulling of patients, pushing stretchers, standing and walking for extended periods of time wearing a lead apron.
- Ability to demonstrate and perform strengthening and toning exercises.
- Ability to interact with patients with tact and confidentiality.
- Must have basic computer skills and ability to access Internet and other programs applicable to Waterbury Hospital procedures. Experience with electronic medical records, including CPOE preferred.
- Perform automated functions that fall within job responsibility