Operations Research Scientist, EU Supply Chain Luxembourg City
Posted on Nov 22, 2019 by Amazon Europe Core
We're a company of pioneers. It's our job to make bold bets, and we get our energy from inventing on behalf of customers. Success is measured against the possible, not the probable. For today's pioneers, that's exactly why there's no place on Earth they'd rather build than Amazon.
When Amazon.com launched in 1995, it was with the mission "to be Earth's most customer-centric company, where customers can find and discover anything they might want to buy online, and endeavors to offer its customers the lowest possible prices." This goal continues today, but Amazon's customers are worldwide now, and have grown to include millions of Consumers, Sellers, Content Creators, and Developers & Enterprises. Each of these groups has different needs, and we always work to meet those needs, innovating new solutions to make things easier, faster, better, and more cost-effective.
Have you ever ordered a product on Amazon websites and wondered how it got delivered to you so fast, and what kinds of systems & processes are running behind the scenes to power the whole operation?
If so, this role is for you.
We need exceptionally bright, talented, and driven people to delight our customers. If you'd like join the world's largest online retailer, this is your chance to have fun and make history !
This position is based out of our EU Headquarters in Luxembourg.
Job ID: 831187 | Amazon EU SARL
The EU Supply Chain team is looking for a Senior Operations Research Scientist. Within the EU Supply Chain Data Science team, you will develop new ways to tackle the trade offs we're facing to increase or speed to deliver to customers, reduce speed while managing the network physical constraints. This role will give you a unique view on Amazon process and operations, interacting with other supply chain teams, planning teams, fulfillment centers and technical teams. We want you to change the way we look at fulfillment so that we can delight our customers always more efficiently by guiding planning teams with data from models you'll develop.
- You own EU wide optimization projects within the EU Supply Chain and Analytics team. You'll model and propose optimizations in the following areas :
- Trade off systematically cost of capacity with speed impact
- Understand the impact of network constraints on distance to customers
- Optimize our warehouse-to-warehouse network to deliver the shortest distance to customers with minimal transfers
- Master degree in a scientific subject: operations research, management science, statistics, engineering, mathematics, or computer science
- 4 years of experience in a highly analytical environment
- Strong Operations Research background, with hands-on experience in building supply chain/logistics systems prototypes
- Ability to perform quantitative, economic, and numerical analysis of the performance of these systems under uncertainty
- Experience with simulations to support operational decision-making.
- Mastery of optimization techniques, including linear and non-linear programming, combinatorial optimization, integer and dynamic programming, network flows
- Experience with Matlab, Python and R and solvers (GUROBI, CPLEX,..)
- Strong data analysis skills, ability to produce, interpret and draw conclusions from data
- Ability to handle multiple competing priorities in a fast-paced environment.
- Organized, self-starter and a quick learner.
- Must be an independent problem solver that can make high quality judgments and decisions quickly with excellent organization skills.
- Must be detail-oriented with a demonstrated ability to self-motivate and follow-through on projects.
- Excellent communicating skills coupled with ability to comfortably and confidently present to all levels within the company is required
- Experience of dealing with results, metrics and data management and desire to create and build new processes
- Hands-on experience with commercial applications of machine learning techniques and tools
- Knowledge of SQL and visualisation tools (R shiny, Tableau, Qlikview, PowerBI)
If you are someone who has shown success in modelling, diving deep in complex data and pioneering new ways to do things, we'd like to talk to you.