Senior/Lead Software Engineer - Frontend - (m/f)
Posted on Nov 23, 2019 by Wayfair
At Wayfair, we are solving complex business problems with technology to serve our 17M+ customers, to sell and deliver a catalogue of 14M+ products, and to continue growing at a rapid pace. Building on our profitability in North America, Europe is a major focus for growth at Wayfair with its unique market challenges and opportunities.
Working with 11,000 suppliers across the globe, we ve built an intuitive supplier portal containing more than 180 tools that support them. Our growing cross-functional engineering teams extend this platform with a focus on efficiency and scalability, impacting supplier operations in real-time.
Our Berlin office has scaled massively (100% YoY) so we re now looking for very experienced engineers to play an active role in leading and driving our product focused teams.
As a senior or lead engineer within our teams, you will take an important role in building an intuitive experience for Wayfair s suppliers. You will have the chance to deliver real impact here and be encouraged to take risks to find the best outcomes. You ll have the opportunity to provide mentorship to your peers and more junior engineers, driving best practice and using your experience to promote our culture of sharing and learning.Your role at Wayfair
- Write scalable, performant, readable frontend code
- Take ownership of certain features and deliver them in collaboration with other engineers, product managers and designers to craft intuitive front-end experiences for our suppliers
- Drive software architecture and design phases for new features, providing design feedback based on components from Wayfair s design system
- Prioritize your own work and manage timely responses to requests from product managers
- Prototype new features and approaches for experimentation and idea validation
- Participate in production support for team and help individuals running point on criticals as necessary
- Own communications for issue or roadblock escalation and understand when and how to do so effectively
- Provide mentorship and guidance for peers and more junior engineers
- Extensive experience building frontend sites and/or applications, including component architecture
- Experience driving projects and playing a key role in product and architectural decisions
- You have excellent experience with React
- You have a solid understanding of OOP and functional programming and design patterns
- You are passionate about UI, UX, design systems, and working with designers to create engaging, accessible, and intuitive experiences
- You have an analytical mindset, with a passion for solving business problems with technology
- You are experienced in giving out and receiving code reviews
- You know and love to work with CSS, including grids, Flexbox, and performance optimizations
- You have strong experience with unit and integration testing or excited to learn
- You are proficient in oral and written communications and thrive in collaboration with other engineering teams
- Experience with PHP or Node.js
- Involvement in engineering communities, meetups and conferences
- Team leading experience
- Active GitHub account
And finally, our proposition to you!
- A competitive salary, yearly bonus, and an attractive equity package
- We contribute to your gym membership and offer free Yoga classes, as well as Wellness Weeks with massages, workshops, and other exciting events
- The opportunity to work cross-functionally and closely with senior leadership, not only in the Berlin office but also with Boston, London, and Galway
- We offer a vast selection of classes through our program to enhance your professional and personal development
- We offer several mentorship programs to further help with your engineering career
- Regular company-sponsored social events to connect with your team and fellow colleagues
- An office location in the heart of the Berlin startup scene, with lots of space to encourage collaboration and teamwork
Wayfair is one of the world s largest online destinations for the home. Whether you work in our global headquarters in Boston or Berlin, or in our warehouses or offices throughout the world, we re reinventing the way people shop for their homes. Through our commitment to industry-leading technology and creative problem-solving, we are confident that Wayfair will be home to the most rewarding work of your career. If you re looking for rapid growth, constant learning, and dynamic challenges, then you ll find that amazing career opportunities are knocking.
No matter who you are, Wayfair is a place you can call home. We re a community of innovators, risk-takers, and trailblazers who celebrate our differences, and know that our unique perspectives make us stronger, smarter, and well-positioned for success. We value and rely on the collective voices of our employees, customers, community, and suppliers to help guide us as we build a better Wayfair and world for all. Every voice, every perspective matters. That s why we re proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship status, marital status, disability, gender identity, gender expression, veteran status, or genetic information.