Staff Engineer - Frontend (m/f)
Posted on Nov 24, 2019 by Wayfair
Who We Are:
We're a high-leverage team of experienced frontend engineers that embraces startup culture as we serve hundreds of developers within Wayfair, whom we consider our customers. We are vocal internal advocates for testing, pragmatism, community, and the immense benefits of a low-friction environment. We build out all of our features using React with Redux and GraphQL, and a custom Sass framework that handles theming for our six brands and three international sites across all platforms.
What You ll Do:
- Embed on a rotating basis with various product teams throughout the organization to create a culture of quality via coaching, pair programming, design sessions, and code review
- Author and contribute to internal libraries that emphasize intuitive interfaces and composability
- Employ frontend industry best practices with regard to web standards, component breakdown, accessibility, cross-device design and code considerations, page rendering, and browser performance.
- Leverage self-directed time to invest in the platform, yourself, and the open source community
How You ll Make an Impact:
- Enable literally thousands of developers to build better products
- Write code that is seen by millions of customers a day
- Partner with engineering teams to promote engineering best practices and help grow junior developers
- Use your expertise to guide developers towards idiomatic solutions
Team-based, self-directed learning tracks for tech mastery built around deliberate practice.
Casepack Architecture Review
Technical design for an internal wizard developed by a full-stack team.
SSR Application Wrapper
Adding application-level features to server-side rendered pages previously required changes to the rendering server. This API allows us to extend directly from the application space without touching the server.
Isomorphic Module Loading
Enabling developers to load features of the React Application on-demand in both the client and server(node) environment, seamlessly.
Recent Wayfair Tech Blog posts:
The Python platform team at Wayfair has been applying this model for a year with great success. We re looking for engineers to help us drive similar results in the frontend space.
What you ll Need:
- Experience developing large React applications
- A strong sense of ownership within your domain, and a desire to have agency in
- A humble learner s mind with an eagerness for teaching and being taught
- A sense of gratification from helping others
- Degree in computer science, computer graphics, or digital arts-related program with relevant industry experience, OR equivalent industry experience
And finally, our proposition to you!
- A competitive salary, yearly bonus, and an attractive equity package
- We contribute to your gym membership and offer free Yoga classes, as well as Wellness Weeks with massages, workshops, and other exciting events
- The opportunity to work cross-functionally and closely with senior leadership, not only in the Berlin office but also with Boston, London, and Galway
- We offer a vast selection of classes through our program to enhance your professional and personal development
- Regular company-sponsored social events to connect with your team and fellow colleagues
- An office location in the heart of the Berlin startup scene, with lots of space to encourage collaboration and teamwork
Wayfair is one of the world s largest online destinations for the home. Whether you work in our global headquarters in Boston or Berlin, or in our warehouses or offices throughout the world, we re reinventing the way people shop for their homes. Through our commitment to industry-leading technology and creative problem-solving, we are confident that Wayfair will be home to the most rewarding work of your career. If you re looking for rapid growth, constant learning, and dynamic challenges, then you ll find that amazing career opportunities are knocking.
No matter who you are, Wayfair is a place you can call home. We re a community of innovators, risk-takers, and trailblazers who celebrate our differences, and know that our unique perspectives make us stronger, smarter, and well-positioned for success. We value and rely on the collective voices of our employees, customers, community, and suppliers to help guide us as we build a better Wayfair and world for all. Every voice, every perspective matters. That s why we re proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship status, marital status, disability, gender identity, gender expression, veteran status, or genetic information.