Senior Cloud Platform Engineer
Posted on Feb 14, 2020 by Allstate
Where good people build rewarding careers.
Think that working in the insurance field can't be exciting, rewarding and challenging? Think again. You'll help us reinvent protection and retirement to improve customers' lives. We'll help you make an impact with our training and mentoring offerings. Here, you'll have the opportunity to expand and apply your skills in ways you never thought possible. And you'll have fun doing it. Join a company of individuals with hopes, plans and passions, all using and developing our talents for good, at work and in life.Job Summary
.*We are open to applicants in the following markets to work from our local offices: Phoenix, AZ; Dallas/Fort Worth, TX; Charlotte, NC; & Chicago, IL. Strong qualified individuals in other US geographic markets will also be given consideration as potential home-based professionals.*
Allstate is looking for experienced Cloud Platform Engineers within Allstate's Infrastructure Services (IS). Within IS, the Cloud Platform Engineers are responsible and accountable for the engineering and operation of the Allstate platforms which is comprised of multiple cloud environments, application continuous delivery tools and pipelines, and numerous applications consuming those.
The Senior Cloud Platform Engineer is a full stack engineer who builds opinionated cloud environments and platforms for Allstate. This role will have the primary accountability of owning, developing, implementing and operating Allstate's cloud platforms. This role will also encompass developing, building, administering, and deploying self-service tools that enable Allstate developers to build, deploy and operate cloud native applications on those cloud platforms.Key Responsibilities
- Oversee and develop the various opinionated cloud environments and platforms while aligning them with business and security strategies and requirements
- Hands-on experience with cloud solutions at massive scale and resiliency
- Deep experience in design, development and deployment of business software in cloud environments
- Design architecture with various cloud providers that meets technical, security, and business needs for applications and workloads.
- Champion the engineering practices and helping teams define and setup frameworks for infrastructure as code and immutable infrastructure concepts
- Establish the strategy and manages complex technical designs in engineering and operating cloud platform infrastructure
- Oversee and develop the strategy and manages complex designs for the continuous integration and continuous delivery frameworks and tools
- Contribute to technology strategy and engineering roadmaps around cloud platforms; executes strategic engineering proof of concepts around cloud platforms
- Define and develop new products and services that provides functions- as-a-service
- Champion for the appropriate use of open source and commercial technology based upon industry trends and innovative concepts
- Four year degree in Computer Science, MIS, or related area, or equivalent work experience
- 5+ years of application development and infrastructure engineering experience
- Able to mentor different teams across the various engineering practices including extreme programming, product mindset, cloud/as-a-service approach, and infrastructure as code
- Hands-on style - willingness and competence in producing necessary changes in our infrastructure and processes
- Flexible in working primarily in an Extreme Programming environment and must be willing to work in a paired programming/engineering model
- Ability to facilitate diverse teams, multi-task, and work under pressure to meet aggressive schedule targets
- Ability to work effectively across organizational and geographical boundaries
- Proficient in identifying creative solutions for technical challenges
- Ability to communicate effectively across groups of diverse backgrounds
- Ability to communicate and present ideas and solutions
- Demonstrable background designing and implementing complex applications and distributed systems into public cloud infrastructure (AWS, GCP, Azure, etc )
- Experience and solid understanding of complex, multi-region, highly available state-less and state-full deployments
- Solid understanding of security and compliance frameworks, standards and implementation in public cloud environments
- Experience and solid understanding of infrastructure technologies such as network, compute, and storage
- Background utilizing DSLs/frameworks for managing infrastructure as code like (or similar to) CloudFormation, Terraform, Chef, Puppet, Ansible, BOSH, etc
- Experience in infrastructure programming using languages like Python, Ruby, Go
- Hands on experience using continuous integration/delivery tools like (or similar to) git, Jenkins, Concourse
The candidate(s) offered this position will be required to submit to a background investigation, which includes a drug screen.
Good Work. Good Life. Good Hands®.
As a Fortune 100 company and industry leader, we provide a competitive salary - but that's just the beginning. Our Total Rewards package also offers benefits like tuition assistance, medical and dental insurance, as well as a robust pension and 401(k). Plus, you'll have access to a wide variety of programs to help you balance your work and personal life -- including a generous paid time off policy.
Learn more about life at Allstate. Connect with us on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and LinkedIn or watch a video .
Effective July 1, 2014, under Indiana House Enrolled Act (HEA) 1242, it is against public policy of the State of Indiana and a discriminatory practice for an employer to discriminate against a prospective employee on the basis of status as a veteran by refusing to employ an applicant on the basis that they are a veteran of the armed forces of the United States, a member of the Indiana National Guard or a member of a reserve component.
For jobs in San Francisco, please click here for information regarding the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
For jobs in Los Angeles, please click here for information regarding the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance.
To view the EEO is the Law poster click here . This poster provides information concerning the laws and procedures for filing complaints of violations of the laws with the Office of Federal Contract Compliance Programs
To view the FMLA poster, click here . This poster summarizing the major provisions of the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) and telling employees how to file a complaint.
It is the Company's policy to employ the best qualified individuals available for all jobs. Therefore, any discriminatory action taken on account of an employee's ancestry, age, color, disability, genetic information, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual and reproductive health decision, marital status, medical condition, military or veteran status, national origin, race (include traits historically associated with race, including, but not limited to, hair texture and protective hairstyles), religion (including religious dress), sex, or sexual orientation that adversely affects an employee's terms or conditions of employment is prohibited. This policy applies to all aspects of the employment relationship, including, but not limited to, hiring, training, salary administration, promotion, job assignment, benefits, discipline, and separation of employment.