Principal Software Engineer
Posted on Feb 14, 2020 by Allstate
Where good people build rewarding careers.
Think that working in the insurance field can't be exciting, rewarding and challenging? Think again. You'll help us reinvent protection and retirement to improve customers' lives. We'll help you make an impact with our training and mentoring offerings. Here, you'll have the opportunity to expand and apply your skills in ways you never thought possible. And you'll have fun doing it. Join a company of individuals with hopes, plans and passions, all using and developing our talents for good, at work and in life.Job Description
We are looking for a seasoned Principal Software Engineer to join our growing External Data Hub team. This role makes global impact on the XDH platform and Allstate External Data Strategy in general. The ideal candidate is a hands-on Java developer with significant Cloud and Data Lake experience. We are hiring a performance-driven leader with the desire to grow with an established, but agile and innovative business.The candidate must have strong, first-hand technical expertise in a modern technology stacks and the proven ability to fashion robust scalable solutions that can manage large data sets. This person should have a passion for learning the cutting-edge technologies and coaching other team members.
Here's more on what the role entails:
- Analyze, design and develop enterprise level applications.
- Collaborate cross-functionally with data scientists, business users, project managers and other engineers to achieve elegant solutions.
- Lead other engineers on the team to elevate technology and consistently apply best practices.
- Identify new technologies to continuously enhance the existing products.
- We're looking for a Software Engineer with 10+ years of experience in designing and developing complex software projects, has a BS degree in computer science or similar, and has the following qualifications:
- Solid hands-on experience in Java and Spring Framework is a must.
- Hands-on experience in designing and building APIs.
- Deep knowledge of software engineering best practices
- Solid understanding of modern Cloud platforms such as AWS or Pivotal Cloud Foundry
- Exposure to Big Data and Streaming technologies such as HDFS, Hive, Spark, and Kafka
- Experience in using build automation technologies and CICD pipelines like Gradle, Maven, Jenkins.
- Experience with Scrum/Agile development methodologies.
- Coaching and mentoring other team members
- Capable of delivering multiple product development projects.
- Good verbal and written communication skills.
The candidate(s) offered this position will be required to submit to a background investigation, which includes a drug screen.
Good Work. Good Life. Good Hands®.
As a Fortune 100 company and industry leader, we provide a competitive salary - but that's just the beginning. Our Total Rewards package also offers benefits like tuition assistance, medical and dental insurance, as well as a robust pension and 401(k). Plus, you'll have access to a wide variety of programs to help you balance your work and personal life -- including a generous paid time off policy.
Learn more about life at Allstate. Connect with us on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and LinkedIn or watch a video .
Effective July 1, 2014, under Indiana House Enrolled Act (HEA) 1242, it is against public policy of the State of Indiana and a discriminatory practice for an employer to discriminate against a prospective employee on the basis of status as a veteran by refusing to employ an applicant on the basis that they are a veteran of the armed forces of the United States, a member of the Indiana National Guard or a member of a reserve component.
For jobs in San Francisco, please click here for information regarding the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
For jobs in Los Angeles, please click here for information regarding the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance.
To view the EEO is the Law poster click here . This poster provides information concerning the laws and procedures for filing complaints of violations of the laws with the Office of Federal Contract Compliance Programs
To view the FMLA poster, click here . This poster summarizing the major provisions of the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) and telling employees how to file a complaint.
It is the Company's policy to employ the best qualified individuals available for all jobs. Therefore, any discriminatory action taken on account of an employee's ancestry, age, color, disability, genetic information, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual and reproductive health decision, marital status, medical condition, military or veteran status, national origin, race (include traits historically associated with race, including, but not limited to, hair texture and protective hairstyles), religion (including religious dress), sex, or sexual orientation that adversely affects an employee's terms or conditions of employment is prohibited. This policy applies to all aspects of the employment relationship, including, but not limited to, hiring, training, salary administration, promotion, job assignment, benefits, discipline, and separation of employment.