Manager, Design Execution
Posted on Feb 14, 2020 by Nestle USA
We are looking for talented, ambitious individuals to join us; strategic creative thinking with a holistic attention to detail - delivering desirable products with passion.
- The Design Execution Manager (DEM) is a cross-functional role for managing strategic initiatives, product launches and creative strategies, within Nestlé's Design Center of Excellence (Design CoE), reporting into the Design Operations Manager.
- The primary responsibility of the Design Execution Manager is management of Design-to-Delivery (D2D) process from project kick-off to final approved artwork for new innovation/renovation product development through the Idea-to-Launch (I2L) process and major package redesign and off-pack design projects.
- The DEM is also responsible for leading cross-functional project teams & business processes inclusive of:
- Package Structure Design, Graphic Design, and Labeling Copy and Content Development.
- To ensure process adherence, the DEM must apply best practices to drive a seamless transition of concepts to executable artwork.
- The DEM has an extended accountability of communicating regularly with partners for the project status of each milestone throughout the product launch.
- The DEM is responsible for establishing realistic project timeline and aligning scope via a formalized creative briefing process as well as formal alignment via D2D and I2L governance process - driving for clarity on feedback and formally locked decisions.
- The candidate for this role must be a strong group facilitator, communicator, and needs to possess excellent skills in the Innovation and New Product Development space.
- Main business partners include:
- Marketing, TAG Packaging, Legal, Regulatory, R&D, Design Agency, Artwork and Pre-press teams.
- Accountable to: Nestlé Project Management, Marketing departments for delivering key package label and artwork content creation milestones, synchronized with the I2L process.
The Design Execution Manager is responsible for:
- Managing the kick off of design brief between internal marketing team and external design agency to ensure the development of high quality design assets that are: on brief objectives, on budget and delivered on time.
- Being a neutral cross-functional process driver. A single point of contact for global and regional project for label design, artwork and content/visual assets creation process excellence, with an end-to-end accountability connected to regional project status through implementation launch.
- Having primary focus on upstream innovation process for new product development, package design and labeling content/visual assets creation: working from kick-off briefing, through Discovery to Creation phases achieving a design lock' with management; ensuring a seamless transition of finalized adaption design/templates to the artwork implementation process.
- Facilitation of the Nestlé D2D briefing process, cross-functional design team status meetings, through I2L governance process - driving for clarity on feedback and locked decisions.
- Driving business and design process - empowered to properly assess each project's business objectives and develops the best strategic workflow for efficiency and successful implementation.
- Tracking and transparently reporting to key business partners on project milestone status via high level dashboard metrics.
- Initiation of a formal escalation process to address critical issues, project scope changes or roadblocks as appropriate with Design CoE leadership team and key business partners.
- Assisting in Design CoE department stewardship, change management programs/ongoing process communications and training.
- Supporting the Design CoE on continuous improvement initiatives: proactively identifying areas for process and performance improvements, elimination of implementation barriers, embraces the idea of trying new processes, new management tools, crafting globally consistent policy across all across businesses.
REQUIREMENTS AND MINIMUM EDUCATION LEVEL
Bachelor's Degree in Marketing, Business, Package/Product Design, or related discipline required.
MBA is preferred
Project Management Professional or similar industry certification is preferred
Six Sigma (Process Excellence) certification is preferred
8 years of package or product design work experience
5 years of formal project management experience in product development, package design, labeling artwork or copy development areas
Knowledge of the consumer product industry or package/product design work and project management experience in adjacent industries is preferred
Prior design agency or creative studio experience is preferred
Proven ability to drive process in complex, interrelated cross-functional new product development and large-scale brand redesign projects is required
Demonstrated strategic business and analytical skills; including understanding of key project management principles in the product development space (Time, Cost, Compliance, Feasibility, Risk Assessment, Design Goals, Problem Solving, Metrics, Formal Alignment) and how to leverage this knowledge to make sound business recommendations in a fluid strategic environment is required
Ability to interact with all levels of management and lead productive discussions without line authority to create alignment of senior cross-functional stakeholders is required
Excellent communication (verbal & written), strong interpersonal and team facilitation skills are required
Ability to drive a team forward, stay on track and reconfigure and reform project delivery process if significant scope changes are required
Comfortable in facilitating a professional, fact-based, transparent, escalation process when necessary, removing roadblocks and securing project alignment on time as required
Prior agency or creative studio experience a plus
Experience in creative design, artwork and different printing processes
Location for the position is Arlington, VA and will require up to 25% domestic travel
The Nestlé Companies are equal employment and affirmative action employers and looking for diversity in qualified candidates for employment.