Data Engineering Lead/Lead Data Engineer
Posted on Apr 23, 2020 by Provide Connected
Are you in a Data Engineering Lead or Lead Data Engineer role at present? Are you the type of person that is curious by nature and excited by a challenge? Does the idea of being in a role where you will be the point person on data structures, software and engineering appeal to you? If you're still reading then this could be the perfect role for you!
Agriculture is broken, my client is developing digital solutions to fight climate change, improve public health and ultimately save lives. The vision is to build a Climate Tech company that will redefine how agriculture and food supply chains are viewed globally. The company will drive and be focused on improving carbon sequestration whilst increasing product yields and nutritional quality. The next hire into the business will be the Data Engineering Lead/Lead Data Engineering and w e are looking for a highly ambitious and passionate individual with a keen interest in building solutions that can impact on global food systems, health and the environment. This is a rare and exciting opportunity where you will p lay a lead role as part of a team that is responsible for defining and delivering the software infrastructure.
As the Data Engineering Lead/Lead Data Engineer you will be responsible for creating a scalable architecture plan that will build the capability required for the coming years. Creating production ready code but also comfortable with delivering POCs as demos before entering production. You will guide and support decisions on which technologies, tools, practices and approaches will be best suited to the business working in closely with the Chief Product Officer. As the company grows you will have the opportunity to build a team around yourself and lead the data engineering and software engineering function. This is a hands-on role for somebody with proven experience developing commercially ready, scalable solutions.
What you will do;
- Defining, building and delivering a data architecture to enable the vision of the business.
- Building and implementing a data framework, that provides easy to access, clear and scalable databases/datawarehouses that will support data pipelines implemented by you in order to power machine learning capability and deliver Real Time business intelligence.
- Integrating multiple, disparate data sources and unlocking data silos in the business thus i mproving the automation, frequency and quality of data collection from business assets and external sources via traditional ETL pipelines and/or APIs
- Working in collaboration with the Chief Product Office r and business stakeholders to ensure timely delivery of the product roadmap, creating solutions that will perform at scale.
- Providing information, feedback and mentorship to support technology-related decision making as required.
- Keeping abreast of industry and technological developments in your field to ensure the architecture remains fit for purpose.
Skills and experience sought;
- Proven experience of delivering data engineering projects, working with complex, unstructured, semi-structured and structured data. Any experience of spatial data and imagery would be a a plus but is not essential..
- A track record in building and delivering data infrastructure & architecture for commercial, software solutions
- A good understanding/experience of scaling eg the ability to devise, execute and maintain automated script testing, the ability to build and deploy on cloud infrastructure (or devise a scalable approach to Dev) and the ability to annotate and document to a level where others can work off your scripts, etc.
- Experience of working with multiple, disparate sources of data (specific experience of working with Real Time and dynamic data from the likes of IoT sensors, vision technology and satellite data sets would be an advantage but is not essential).
- The ability to implement best in class data integration routines including data validation and qualitative checks
- Experience in building data driven applications for BI and intuitive consumer facing solutions/apps would be an advantage
- Experience of owning the software development life cycle would be be an advantage
- Competitive salary
- Equity/Share options
Commitment, enthusiasm and a good work ethic count for a lot with this company and it grows there will be opportunities for you to progress. I f you're excited by the chance to work towards changing the future of agricultural & climate tech then apply now with a current CV. Interviewing immediately!