Java Software Architect
Posted on Apr 23, 2020 by Experis - Babcock International
Java Software Architect
Location: Bristol or Tewkesbury
About the role
DST is a business unit within the Marine Sector of Babcock International Group. Working on a range of exciting design, manufacture and support projects, DST works with a number of key clients domestically and internationally. We're based at a number of sites in the UK and overseas. The business continues to win new work and grow at a significant pace, as a result we are recruiting for talented, enthusiastic and driven people.
We are recruiting for a Software Architect to work within Babcock International on Defence Systems Technology projects.
As a Software Architect you will work as part of a team to develop software solutions to fulfil system requirements. You will have the following qualities:
Proven experience in designing and delivering complex enterprise software systems;
In-depth knowledge and on-the-ground experience of the technology stack:
* Enterprise Java;
* Relational databases;
* RESTful web-services;
* Web-development frameworks.
* Extensive knowledge of automated testing and other industry standard software quality initiatives;
* Extensive experience of applying and maintaining architecture coherence and design patterns;
* Significant experience in guiding a team to achieve optimal quality deliveries;
* Extensive experience of agile development methodology
Your responsibilities will include:
* Establishing and maintaining development environment infrastructure (tooling etc.);
* Establishing and maintaining necessary automated-test infrastructure and test patterns for the project;
* Providing technical guidance with regards to the project architecture and technology stack;
* Ensuring best-practice software design patterns and methodologies are employed throughout;
* Managing and identifying non-functional software concerns in order to mitigate against technical debt;
* Implementing software according to defined tasks, architecture and quality expectations;
* Providing ongoing peer-reviews and engagement with the Agile backlog.
What do I need to do the role?
* HNC/HND or Degree in a suitable engineering discipline (or similar relevant qualification);
* Candidates without this qualification will be considered, if they can demonstrate considerable relevant experience within an equivalent role.
What else do I need to know?
* The successful candidate must be able to achieve the appropriate security clearance level for this role.
* We are happy to talk about flexible working. Please ask about alternative patterns of work at interview.
About Babcock International
For more than a century, Babcock, the Aerospace and Defence company, has been trusted to deliver bespoke, highly-skilled engineering services. We help customers in the UK and around the world to improve the capability, reliability and availability of their most critical assets within the four market sectors of Marine, Land, Aviation, and Nuclear, underpinned by a deep understanding of technology integration, unique infrastructure and specialist training.
We're committed to providing a great employee experience in a supportive and engaging environment. The benefits you can expect to enjoy include a generous holiday entitlement, competitive money purchase pension scheme with life assurance and a share ownership scheme. You'll benefit from excellent career and learning and development opportunities to ensure that you grow and achieve your full potential.
All applications should be made online. Please use a desktop PC or laptop to create your account and apply for a job. Once you've completed this you'll be able to apply to jobs from mobile devices.
If you experience difficulties please check our career website for more information. Recruitment correspondence is normally by email so please check your email account and spam folder regularly.
We are committed to building an inclusive culture and strives to attract talent who thrive in an inclusive and flexible working environment.
If you have a disability or need any reasonable adjustments during the application and selection stages please let us know and we will respond in a way that best fits your specific needs.
Armed Forces Covenant
We are proud to support the Armed Forces community by honouring the Armed Forces Covenant. We recognise the value that Serving Personnel, both Regular and Reserves, Veterans, Uniformed Cadet Instructors and Service Families contribute to our business and the United Kingdom. As part of the Covenant, Babcock offers Reservists and Uniformed Cadet Instructors up to 2 week's special paid leave to help them meet their commitments. To find out more please check our career website for more information.