Environmental Lab Analyst
Posted on Jul 30, 2020 by The University of Iowa
The State Hygienic Laboratory in Coralville is looking for a Laboratory Analyst to prepare environmental samples and analyze the data collected. The Analyst will be responsible for maintaining, operating various instrumentation.
Education or Equivalency Required
- Bachelor's degree in Chemistry or closely related field, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Ability to perform tasks that require accuracy, attention to detail, including accurate record keeping.
- Demonstrated excellent verbal and written communication, interpersonal, and relationship management skills, and ability to interact positively with a diverse population.
- Demonstrate working proficiency with Microsoft Office software, (Excel, Outlook, Word, PowerPoint, etc.).
Highly Desirable Qualifications
- Demonstrate six months to one year, of relevant laboratory experience.
- Demonstrate working knowledge and experience using and maintaining laboratory instrumentation.
- Basic environmental lab testing experience (e.g., water or other environmental testing) in high throughput lab setting.
- Basic familiarity with state and federal environmental testing regulations.
- Demonstrate working knowledge and experience with Laboratory Information Management Systems (LIMS).
- Experience with gas chromatography with various detectors such as mass spectrometer, electron capture detector (ECD), flame ionization detector (FID).
- Experience with high performance liquid chromatography with various detectors such as mass spectrometer, ultraviolet (UV), and fluorescence.
About the State Hygienic Laboratory
The s main facilities are headquartered on the University of Iowa's campus northwest of Iowa City in Coralville. Additional testing facilities are part of the Iowa Laboratory Facilities in Ankeny, a Des Moines suburb.
Since 1904, the State Hygienic Laboratory has been at the forefront of public health issues in Iowa. As the state's public health and environmental laboratory, the Hygienic Laboratory serves all of Iowa's 99 counties through disease detection, environmental monitoring, and newborn and maternal screening.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of 14 calendar days and may be removed from posting and filled any time after the original posting period has ended. Successful candidates will be subject to a criminal background check, and verification of academic credentials. Up to 5 professional references will be requested at a later step in the recruitment process.
The University of Iowa is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration for employment free from discrimination on the basis of race, creed, color, national origin, age, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, religion, associational preference, status as a qualified individual with a disability, or status as a protected veteran.