Network Automation Engineer / Cloud Network Engine
Posted on Jul 30, 2020 by The Bank for International Settlements
Contract type: Permanent, duration 3 years.
The Bank for International Settlements is an international organisation which fosters international monetary and financial cooperation via wide-ranging banking, economic research and policy coordination activities.
Purpose of the role:
- Identify opportunities to leverage automation to improve internal process and realise efficiencies related to operating IT infrastructure (cloud (MS Azure) and On-Premise)
- Lead automation and transformation projects across diverse technology stack to replace manual effort with Infrastructure and Configuration-as-Code
- Provide operational support for the Bank's networking technologies and solutions including traditional On-Premise infrastructure, software-defined networking and public cloud environments
- Provide input and guidance on unifying Cloud and On-Premise technology stacks to maximize investment in automation practices and tools
- Provide internal management, expert advice and operational experience on automation of IT infrastructure throughout the organisation, including cloud and On-Premise
- Technology Optimization: Implement solutions that reduce manual work and effort required for regular tasks related to IT infrastructure operations. Reduce risk of errors by introducing automation platforms and capabilities
- Business Agility: Increase the agility of IT and enable business areas to gain access to common infrastructure services by providing automation through standard and repeatable interfaces
- Resilience: Ensure that activities are undertaken in accordance with the Bank's high security standards in alignment with corporate policies, release and change management, and compliance. Incorporate resilience practices such that solutions are adequately protected and able to be sustained during times of adversity
- Technology Strategy: Support the selection of technology to meet the Bank's business needs taking into account the quality of technology for hybrid cloud strategy (automation, monitoring and resilience). Lead culture change for automation
- IT Operations: Maintain high quality networking services for diverse customers across On-Premise and cloud facilities. Reduce risk of error in configuration changes by developing practices based on Configuration-as-Code.
Skills and qualifications:
- Experience with network devices (routers, switches, load balancers and firewalls) and knowledge of network routing protocols
- Experience with design and implementation of network operation systems including Software Defined Networking
- Experience of Networking and Data Centre technologies, in particular Cisco and Palo Alto to support automating configuration and management
- Fluency with automation tools and frameworks with demonstrated experience applying tools to improve efficiency
- Experience with DevOps practices, in particular automation and reusability as key enablers of project delivery and operations
- Fluency in scripting languages and common automation frameworks (Python, PowerShell, Ansible, Terraform)
- Experience with configuration management practices and technologies and leveraging orchestration to ensure configuration consistency
- Experience of public cloud infrastructure, MS Azure preferred
- Familiarity with modern authorisation concepts, including OAuth and token based authentication
- Experience building integrations and applications against common REST base API's, particularly infrastructure and core IT services like storage, cloud computing, virtualization, and networking
- Fluency with code management solutions, in particular GIT and CI/CD tools, including integrating their use in common infrastructure management and deployment tasks
- Ability to develop strategy, articulate vision and socialize concepts to realize automation benefits across IT infrastructure
- A university degree in in computer science, or another IT-related technical field
- Able to work on-call as part of a regular operational rotation to support network issues that may arise outside of core hours
Application Deadline: 16/08/2020
The BIS is fully committed to equal opportunity employment and strives for diversity among its staff.