Packaging Operator- 3rd Shift
Posted on Jul 30, 2020 by balchem
Balchem Corporation develops, manufactures and markets specialty ingredients that improve and enhance the health and well-being of life on the planet, providing state-of-the-art solutions and the finest quality products for a range of industries worldwide. Our corporate headquarters is located in New Hampton, New York, (Hudson Valley area) and we have a broad network of sales offices, manufacturing sites, and R&D centers, primarily located in the US and Europe. Founded in 1967, Balchem is a publicly traded company (NASDAQ BCPC) with annual revenues over $640 million and a market cap exceeding $3.0 billion. The company consists of three business segments: Human Nutrition & Health; Animal Nutrition & Health; and Specialty Products. Balchem employs over 1,400 people worldwide who are engaged in diverse activities, committed to developing the company into global market leadership positions. To learn more about our dynamic, stable and growing company, visit
Assist the Line Leader by operating the packaging machine. Must be knowledgeable and comply with all Quality Control (QC), Quality Assurance (QA), and good manufacturing practices (GMP). Directly reports to the Shift Leader/Line Leader for proper direction, interpretation, and evaluation. Maintains and guarantees Balchem quality and safety standards.
- Assist the Line Leader by operating the packaging machine in a safe and professional manner and as per operation guidelines.
- Provide assistance and training of equipment operations, including: ADCO, metal detector, Ishida scale, form fill/seal machine, and case sealer. Ensure cleaning and maintenance is performed when necessary. Must be able to operate equipment without assistance.
- Monitor bulk density and finished material appearance without assistance. Blend and weigh ingredients with minimal assistance.
- Ensure all paperwork is complete (including time cards) in an accurate and timely manner. Ensure the documentation complies with SECS standards.
- Keep a neat, clean, and orderly work setting by completing the cleaning tasks as assigned. Complete the Master Sanitation Schedule as necessary.
- Observe safety and security procedures, determine appropriate action beyond guidelines, and report potentially unsafe conditions.
- Monitor product quality to meet Company standards. Report to Supervisor any deviation from scheduling or quality of service that may become a potential liability. Resolve all operations problems as necessary during the shift.
- Attend all Company-sponsored training events, i.e., safety training talks and annual training sessions, targeted for continuing personal growth and development. Know and follow all QC, QA, GMP, and OSHA training procedures.
- Report to your Supervisor any failure to adhere to Balchem work ethics and standards.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Adhere to all Company policies and procedures, i.e. personnel, safety, and equipment maintenance and upkeep. Become proficient in areas of production and safety policies and procedures (accident/injury reporting, blood borne pathogens, confined spaces, emergency evacuation, equipment operation/maintenance, hazard communication, ladders, lockout/tag out, personal protective equipment, etc.).
High school diploma or general education degree (GED); three to six months related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education or experience. Individual must be equipped with strong motivation, organization, time management, documentation, and communication skills (both orally and written). Must have excellent attention to detail and have the ability to multi-task and prioritize. Demonstration of strong work ethics (punctual, dependable, and trustworthy). Ability to utilize common sense and skills in completing responsibilities and operating equipment conforming to Company production, personnel, and safety procedures. Ability to read and comprehend simple instructions, short correspondence, and memos. Must be able to pass any required examinations necessary to perform essential functions of the job. Must be able to communicate and handle conflict in a professional manner.
Ability to give and welcome feedback and contribute to building a positive team spirit.
Individual will continually be required to stand, walk, use hands to finger, handle or feel, to talk and hear, and to utilize specific vision abilities including but not limited to close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus. Regularly required to climb, balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, and crawl, using proper ergonomic principles, taste, smell, and lift up to 25 pounds. Periodically required to lift up to and above 50 and 100 pounds, utilizing safe and proper lift techniques and equipment. Individual will rarely be required to sit.
Individual will operate equipment, including but not limited to computers, drafting equipment and instruments involving scientific meters and measuring devices. The ability to distinguish colors is required.
Balchem requires anyone working in the plant or entering the plant to adhere to the personal protective equipment policies and procedures. All personal protective equipment furnished must be worn by all employees when required or needed to perform proper and safe working conditions.
Individual may rarely be exposed to wet or humid conditions, working near moving mechanical parts, work in extreme heat (non-weather), work in high noise levels and vibration. Individual may also be periodically working in high or precarious places, fumes or airborne particles, toxic or caustic chemicals, outdoor weather conditions, and extreme cold (non-weather).
Non-Exempt ($11.00/Hourly) plus shift differential.
Hours:1st Shift- 7AM to 3PM
2ndShift-3PM to 11PM
3rd Shift- 11PM to 7AM
- Medical/Dental/Vision Insurance first of the month following employment
- 401(k) with 6% employer match after 60 days of employment
- Paid Time Off (Vacation, Personal, Sick, Floating, Holidays)
- Uniforms Provided
- Safety Shoes Provided
- Tuition Reimbursement after 2 years of employment (must be work related)
- Fitness Reimbursement Plan up to a maximum of $375 per benefit plan year (1/1-12/31)