Student Assistant - Intern
Posted on Jul 30, 2020 by Community Resources for Justice (CRJ)
Community Resources for Justice (CRJ) is a Boston-based non-profit organization working in criminal justice, juvenile justice, and social welfare systems. In support of CRJ's mission, its Crime and Justice Institute (CJI) bridges the gap between research and practice with data-driven solutions that drive bold, transformative improvements in criminal and juvenile justice systems.
CJI works with a diverse group of practitioners and policymakers throughout the criminal justice process, including corrections officials, police, courts, and political and community leaders. Our project teams provide technical assistance, training, consulting and evaluation services to support the development and implementation of evidence-based practices in juvenile and criminal justice, including policing, pretrial, courts, correctional institutions and probation/parole. This position will support the work of various project teams to develop and implement initiatives related to criminal and juvenile justice policy and practice.
Candidates must demonstrate strong critical thinking skills, the ability to work independently and efficiently, and excellent writing and analytic skills. Ideal candidates are well-organized and detail-oriented, and can prioritize quickly and confidently. The ability to multi-task in a fast-paced and virtually-based work environment is critical. This position offers a significant level of responsibility and opportunity for growth to an individual seeking to begin or advance a career.
Duties / Responsibilities:
- Maintain, enhance, and update a directory of Boston area reentry resources.
- Conduct extensive outreach to criminal justice providers for information on services provided.
- Conduct research on legislation, policies, and practices related to criminal and juvenile justice systems, including the coordination of data collection; assistance in producing reports, presentations and documents; and literature research/reviews.
- Assist with administrative functions on projects, including but not limited to: document and materials preparation; scheduling and coordinating conferences and meetings; and other clerical support.
Knowledge / Skills / Experience Required:
- Advanced skills using Microsoft Office Products: Word, Excel, Power Point, Access
- Ability to learn and work with both databases and website content management systems
- Strong writing, analytical, and critical thinking skills
- Motivated and independent thinker
- Possess high standards regarding work quality
- Ability to interact with a variety of people, both in-person and virtually, in a professional and collaborative manner
- Ability to coordinate and respond to multiple priorities with tight deadlines
- Ability to learn from mistakes and engage in positive change
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to 'think on the spot'
- Bachelor's degree preferred.
CRJ provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws.