Marketing Manager Portfolio & Innovation
Posted on Jul 30, 2020 by balchem
About Balchem Minerals & Nutrients
The Minerals & Nutrients (M&N) business unit of Balchem's Human Nutrition & Health segment manufactures and sells Albion Minerals, our brand of scientifically validated chelated minerals, and VitaCholine, our brand of the essential nutrient choline. Both brands provide premium ingredients that offer superior delivery of health benefits and are built on strong science and innovative technologies recognized worldwide for their quality, efficacy and safety. Other smaller product lines exist in M&N (e.g. VitaShure microencapsulated human nutrients) or will likely be added to M&N through development or acquisition and are also within scope of this position.
General Purpose of Position
This position drives M&N product portfolio and brand value management, new product innovation and marketing innovation. Main duties include comprehensive portfolio management, white space identification and B2B marketing innovation. Collaborates with M&N leadership and the Marketing Director to conduct a thorough evaluation of the product portfolio and an accompanying market analysis (SWOT / PESTEL / Porter's Five Forces / Value Chain, etc.). Develops and maintains white space opportunity analyses for Albion, VitaCholine and M&N to help inform new product development strategies and potential acquisition targets. Develops innovative new marketing approaches in the B2B space, including digital marketing, trends analysis and value propositions for brands, division and company. Conducts market research to help inform long-term strategic pathways and new product development
I. Portfolio Management and White Space Identification 70%
- Manage and evaluate M&N portfolio data and innovation pipeline to assist in the strategic decision-making and Go-to-Market process.
- Drive M&N portfolio management and as Marketing Innovation lead, collaborate closely with Business Development, Research and Development, and Nutrition Science departments to refine and expand the M&N product portfolio, Design, research, develop, analyze and suggest new marketing concepts as well as strategies.
- Maximize brand value by identifying core brand strengths, updating brand positioning/vision statements and mapping out brand progression along the value continuum. Work collaboratively with finance and operations to drive margin improvement via new product launches as well as identifying cost savings opportunities.
- As a key member of the M&N Innovation Team, manage various new M&N product initiatives in the Balchem Agile Innovation Machine (AIM) process. Serving as the main driver for early stage innovation efforts, develop formal processes and procedures to increase effectiveness of early innovation efforts (Filling the Funnel, Developing the Business Case). Develop and recommend new procedures for generating new product concepts and evaluating them against market needs. Develop and recommend new product estimator model or similar tools to help make accurate business cases for new product ideas, enabling us to kill early and often' and accelerate big ideas.'
- Coordinate all cross-functional activities, represent customers internally and collaborate with leaders in varied areas on allocation across projects and resource planning.
- Identify new product opportunities for strategic partnership or acquisition that are consistent with the strategic plan of the business; collaborate and hand off to New Business Development team as appropriate.
II. Marketing Innovation 30%
- Ensure alignment between marketing plan execution and long-term business strategy. Explore and recommend innovative solutions to support implementation of M&N marketing strategy.
- Coordinate with other members of the marketing team to ensure awareness and implementation of marketing best practices. Research, suggest and implement new go-to-market strategies that will drive product success in the marketplace.
- For successful new product development initiatives, serve as M&N driver in the commercialization process to ensure that we are delivering against major AIM commercialization activities:
- Train salesforce
- Literature and systems
- Launch the product into selected segments
- Track feedback and metrics
- Serve as Marketing Team lead for annual strategic planning and marketing plan processes.
- BS degree in Nutrition, Biology or Marketing is desired. MBA preferred
- 5 years of progressive experience in marketing, brand management, and business development roles, preferably within the dietary supplements or food fortification markets
- Excellent cross-functional and interpersonal skills, able to interact with all levels of complex organizations
- Strong leadership, motivational and presentation skills. Effective planning, organization and time management skills. Good attention to detail and follow-up
- Based in Layton, UT or New Hampton, NY with travel to local and international customer locations, attend trade shows and related customer or business driven activities.
- Overnight travel requirements may reach 50%
The successful candidate must have:
- Minimum 5 years' experience in CPG marketing or Branded B2B environment
- Cross-functional experience (i.e. sales, research, etc.)
- Strong interpersonal and leadership skills.
- Ability to effectively interface at all levels.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong strategic, analytical skills.
- Ability to take initiative, develop and seek out creative and innovative ideas.
- Creative problem solver with an entrepreneurial mindset and ambition.
- Able to quickly pivot and be agile in thinking differently.
- Must have strong knowledge of Marketing fundamentals, analytical expertise, and be familiar with syndicated data sources and internal data sources
- Have the desire to develop an understanding of the nutrition industry and the changing trends in the marketplace
- Be proficient with MS Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Understanding of Balchem M&N's marketing facets in the nutritional industries in order to maximize visibility, generate demand and promote our brands in a motivating and convincing way.
- Must have an understanding of strategic marketing objectives and the ability to develop plans to achieve objectives in both print and electronic media.
- Knowledge of human health and physiology with emphasis on nutrition.