Global Medical Director - Spinal Muscular Atrophy
Posted on Jul 30, 2020 by Biogen
Worldwide Medical, a credible partner to other Biogen functions, helps inform medical practice across our therapeutic areas and pipeline to improve measurable and meaningful patient outcomes.
As an agile, world-class organization, we are the translational bridge between science, the healthcare community, and patient care. We work to ensure Biogen makes medically relevant drugs that reach the people who need them. As a trusted partner alongside R&D and Commercial, we collect scientific and medical insights to design and collaborate on research studies across the full lifecycle of drug development.
We take pride in being a strategic scientific advisor to payers, providers, and patients. By generating high-quality data insights about diseases and treatments and translating those findings, we help KMEs, HCPs, payors, and regulators make informed decisions for people with these serious conditions. We ensure that the voice of the patients is heard, considering their feedback and experience with our therapies.
The Spinal Muscular Atrophy (SMA) Medical Director is responsible for overseeing and defining the Medical strategy and priorities for SMA. The SMA Medical Director will work closely with the regional leads to align on the strategic priorities and execution of data generation and medical education activities for SMA. He/She will be the point person to interact with other functions such as Commercial, V&A and R&D for SMA and will build and maintain external relationships among SMA medical experts globally. This position is based in Cambridge and selected candidate must sit onsite.
- Build and maintain external relationships among SMA medical experts globally
- Act as the single SMA Medical point of contact for Global, ensuring the understanding of key insights that may be relevant for the Global strategy and the alignment within the Medical team
- Develop the strategy for SMA Global Ad Boards to assess potential gaps and evaluate how Biogen should contribute to the advance of the clinical practice and act on the identified unmet data needs
- Develop the strategy for SMA data generation projects to address the identified medical gaps
- Develop the strategy and serve as the study Medical Director and a core team member for SMA Global Medical Studies
- Provide scientific expertise to the development of LCM initiatives and Digital Strategy
- Effectively collaborate with the relevant medical and cross-functional partners (R&D, V&A, Commercial, Program Leadership) to understand key insights which are relevant for the data generation efforts and to drive their execution
- Understand the emerging pipeline and the current Clinical and Commercial strategies across SMA
- Support market access and reimbursement efforts globally
- MD, PhD, or other advanced degree in the life sciences is required
- Experience/training in clinical research
- Minimum of 8+ years of pharmaceutical industry experience is required, preferably on the TA area
- Relevant experience on Medical Affairs and clinical trials execution is strongly desired
- Demonstrate ability to effectively engage the KME's and is seen as a peer by tier 1 KMEs
- Ability to understand and effectively communicate scientific medical and regulatory information. Excellent written and oral communication skills are imperative
- Ability to anticipate and adapt to change while maintaining the momentum of an overall strategic plan, ability to work independently, to complete tasks in a timely fashion, and function in a rapid paced, high pressure environment
- Strong ability to conduct medical and scientific analysis and decision-making
The Spinal Muscular Atrophy (SMA) Medical Director is responsible for overseeing and defining the Medical strategy and priorities for SMA and will work closely with the regional leads to align on the strategic priorities and execution of data generation and medical education activities for SMA.