Posted on Sep 16, 2020 by Leidos
The Government Health and Safety Solutions Operation is seeking a Systems Engineer/Architect in Baltimore or Rockville, MD.
The Imports/SIRCE project supports the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Office of Regulatory Affairs' (ORA) critical work to safeguard the foods, drugs, devices, biologics, and veterinary products that the Agency regulates. SIRCE supports the import program staff in the field performing import entry review including Prior Notice review, fieldwork assignment, and compliance decision-making for the millions of import entry lines that are received each year. SIRCE systems also support the domestic business processes for planning and conducting inspections, federal/state partnerships, workload management, investigative operations, laboratory analysis, compliance work, and other critical initiatives. SIRCE currently operates and maintains over 20 systems, including legacy applications and new services and components introduced to modernize and enhance the IT capabilities needed by ORA. Some of these functions are mission-critical and must be operational 24 by 7. FDA (and various contractors) developed these systems over the last 15+ years using a variety of technologies.
The Architect will evaluate existing systems architectures and providing recommendations for modernizing and enhancing legacy systems for FDA Imports/SIRCE.
Key duties and responsibilities include:
• Collaborates with Project Manager and Release Train Engineer as well as other stakeholders to ensure alignment of technical strategy, business strategy and execution.
• Develops architecture solutions and architecture runway components, considering potential technology changes/upgrades, usability, scalability, and performance, in support of new capabilities/features for application/project.
• Collaborates with FDA OIMT and ORA architects to recommend/identify best technical solutions to meet requirements - including providing analysis of alternative and recommendations to facilitate sound decisions
• Focuses on database, environments, and technology to ensure high level design and interfaces meet objectives and provide continuous improvement towards a better performing and maintainable system
• Supports technical troubleshooting and problem solving. Provides technical oversight, SME support and knowledge transfers.
• Collaborates with Chief Solutions Architect to sets technical direction, approaches, and improvements for project area to align with FDA's technology and mission requirements
• Participates in all release/increment planning events and plan enablement work/runway capabilities.
• Drives architectural and technical modernization of applications. Brings forward technical improvement ideas and helps drive the team to develop improvements in line with FDA's strategic objectives
• Provides input and support to FDA strategy, proposals, prototypes, and white papers
Bachelors degree from an accredited college in a related discipline, or equivalent experience/combined education, with 12 years of professional experience; or 10 years of professional experience with a related Masters degree. Considered an emerging authority.
• Must have experience with broad systems, architectures and technologies, including an understanding or quick ability to learn FDA workflows, interfaces, and data.
• Analytical experience to identify problem areas that could impact performance, data integrity, functionality, and reliability. Experience providing options/recommendations for improvements.
• Expertise in coordination with stakeholders to ensure full understanding of system configurations, planning for upgrades, and capturing changes through configuration management to ensure no regressions
• Expertise with Oracle products such as Oracle Database, Linux, COTS integration, Computer System Security, EXADATA, EXALOGIC, WebLogic, load balancing, and Web Services/SOA.
• Proven leadership and communication skills. Excellence in writing and developing compelling solutions based on technical analysis.
• Self-starter. Does not hesitate to investigate, troubleshoot, and solve problems through prototyping, brainstorming, and testing
- Proposal writing
- Mobile solutions, Cloud, Microservices, DevOps
- Agile development
- Tools - JIRA, HP ALM, SVN, Confluence, AppDynamics, Enterprise Architect
Requires Public Trust Security Clearance.
hhsfdaExternal Referral Bonus: Eligible Potential for Telework: No Clearance Level Required: Public Trust Travel: No Scheduled Weekly Hours: 40 Shift: Day Requisition Category: Professional Job Family: Systems Engineering
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world's toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company's 33,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $10.19 billion for the fiscal year ended December 28, 2018. For more information, visit .
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here .
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to .
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.