Posted on Sep 16, 2020 by MedStar Health Central Recruiting
- Job Summary
- Functions as a member of the patient-centered care team to provide direct bedside care to the patient under the supervision of a Registered Nurse. Performs a variety of activities for assigned patients and their families and significant others.
- Minimum Qualifications
- Completion of an approved nursing assistant certification program; high school graduation or equivalent preferred.
- 6 months related experience preferred.
- CNA (Certified Nursing Assistant) certification by the Maryland Board of Nursing. BLS (Basic Life Support) certification.
- Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Verbal and written communication skills. Basic computer skills preferred.
- Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Assists patients with comfort measures and activities of daily living such as dressing, positioning, ambulation, toileting, and nutritional support.
- Assists setup and breakdown of patient areas to expedite turnover under the direction of RN.
- Assists with basic setup and troubleshooting of specialty equipment under direction of RN.
- Assists with environmental services support such as linen management, trash removal, and cleaning patient rooms as needed.
- Assists with ordering and stocking supplies and equipment under direction of RN.
- Assists with transport of patients, specimens, equipment and supplies as appropriate.
- Contributes to the achievement of established department goals and objectives and adheres to department policies, procedures, quality standards and safety standards. Complies with governmental and accreditation regulations.
- Demonstrates skills in all methods of decontamination and sterilization of instrumentation. Demonstrates basic knowledge of infection control and asepsis in the perioperative area.
- Obtains data and documents pertinent patient information including vital signs, pulse oximetry, weights, heights, and patient care activities. Communicates changes in the patient's condition to the RN.
- Participates in multidisciplinary quality and service improvement teams. Participates in meetings and on committees and represents the department and hospital in community outreach efforts.
- Performs basic procedures such suctioning, urinary catheter insertion and removal, maintenance of drainage devices, obtains EKG, collection of specimens, oxygen setup, venipuncture, shave preps, application of appliances (TED, SCD, binders, slings, supports), case cart setup, and anesthesia setup.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Reports actual and potential problems concerning patients, families, staff and their departments to the Registered Nurse. Responds to questions from patient, families and significant others in a prompt, courteous, positive manner, referring them to appropriate personnel if necessary.
- Uses budgeted resources (personnel, supplies, and equipment) judiciously to ensure efficient and cost-effective operation of the department.
MedStar Health is dedicated to providing the highest quality care for people in Maryland and the Washington, D.C., region, while advancing the practice of medicine through education, innovation and research. Our 30,000 associates and 5,400 affiliated physicians work in a variety of settings across our health system, including 10 hospitals and more than 300 community-based locations, the largest visiting nurse association in the region, and highly respected institutes dedicated to research and innovation. As the medical education and clinical partner of Georgetown University for more than 20 years, MedStar is dedicated not only to teaching the next generation of doctors, but also to the continuing education and professional development of our whole team. MedStar Health offers diverse opportunities for career advancement and personal fulfillment.
Set up alerts to get notified of new vacancies.