Lead Technical Architect
Posted on Sep 16, 2020 by Michael Page Technology
The Planning Inspectorate require a Lead Technical Architect to steer the technical architecture function, providing consultancy and expertise on all aspects of application and infrastructure design.
The Planning Inspectorate has a long and proud history in ensuring a fair planning system. The work we do has a significant impact on people's lives, the communities that they live in and the economy; whether that is considering an appeal for housing, providing challenge and support to Local Authorities on Local Plans or providing recommendations to the Secretary of State on power stations, or airport expansions such as Heathrow.
It's a really exciting time to be thinking about joining us. We are currently in the middle of a multi-million-pound transformation programme to create a more modern Inspectorate. We want our colleagues to be able to work more flexibly and more collaboratively, exploring new and innovative ways to improve the way we provide services. We are investing heavily in technology and as well as developing our model to be more customer centric, we are also modernising our systems to introduce increased automation and efficiency.
The Digital Services team is expanding to meet the growing demands from our colleagues, government and our customers and we're recruiting to increase both our capacity and capability to meet those demands and to provide outstanding digital, data and technology services. This role is a business critical, high profile role and we are seeking a motivated, Lead Technical Architect to steer the technical architecture function, providing consultancy and expertise on all aspects of application and infrastructure design.
As the Lead Architect you will ensure that technology solutions support business needs and will be accountable to the Head of Digital Services for the technical and security products and solution designs produced by The Planning Inspectorate and 3rd party suppliers.
You will be responsible for the definition of technical and solutions architectures and ensure that technology choices are compliant with the Digital strategy, roadmap, principles, systems and service levels, using architecture methods tools such as TOGAF, Archimate and UML. Technically you will have experience of Windows and Linux Server operating environments, Microsoft Azure, Office 365 cloud platforms including virtualised networking solutions (Zscaler Private Access/Meraki). In addition to this you will identify technical and security risks & issues, ensuring that they are formally documented.
As an effective communicator, working with agile delivery teams you will possess the ability liaise with both technical and non-technical stakeholders to ensure the successful translation of technical designs into business solutions that meet user needs.
Selection process details
Complete the online application form on Civil Service Jobs which requires the following information:
. A CV setting out your career history, with key responsibilities and achievements. Please ensure you have provided reasons for any gaps within the last two years.
. A Personal Statement (1000 words max) explaining how you consider your personal skills, qualities and experience provide evidence of your suitability for the role, with particular reference to the essential criteria and success profile elements in the person specification.
- Digitally and technically literate, capable of effectively engaging with technical staff, suppliers and stakeholders to define the best solutions in line with PINS & Government strategy
- Experience designing and reviewing complex technical delivery projects
- Experience liaising with external and internal teams to ensure timely provisioning and implementation of quality, scalable and secure technical solutions
- Experience of on-premise, IaaS, PaaS & SaaS solutions and when and how to implement them
- Experience working with suppliers to contribute to and assure detailed technical architectures and designs
- Ability to cope in a technically complex and transformational environment, and to respond calmly and rationally to changing aspirations within constraints
- Able to influence stakeholders to adopt solutions that best support the business need
Able to effectively articulate the trade-offs between different solution options
- Experience of architecture methods tools such as TOGAF, Archimate and UML
- Relevant degree or professional qualification (eg BCS International Diploma in Solution Development, Microsoft Certificate) or willingness to study for a qualification within a reasonable length of time
- Knowledge of security in a UK Government context
- Relevant professional qualifications (eg BCS Certificate, Microsoft Certificate)
- An understanding of commercial approaches/considerations within the Public Sector environment
- Access to learning and development tailored to your role
- A working environment that supports a range of flexible working options, including flexi-time, part time, compressed hours and home working if suitable for the role.
- A working culture which encourages inclusion and diversity.
- A generous civil service pension starting at 26.6% employer contribution rate
- 25 days annual leave on entry, increasing on a sliding scale to 30 days after 5 years' service. This is in addition to 8 public holidays, this will be complimented by 1 further day paid as a privilege entitlement to mark the Queen's Birthday.
- Based in offices next to Temple Meads station, with on-site gym and restaurant.
- Fast and modern IT kit which utilises Microsoft Office 10 and O365, enabling seamless working from home and collaboration across teams within The Inspectorate
- We care about your wellbeing and all staff have access to Occupational Health Services, Employee Assistance Programme and there are a number of staff representative groups.
Set up alerts to get notified of new vacancies.
£32k - £48k Annual
£50k - £70k Annual
£54.1k - £58.9k Annual
£65k - £80k Annual
£50k - £80k Annual