Environmental Care Coordinator
Posted on Sep 16, 2020 by Ampersand Consulting
Environmental Care Coordinator
A leading business in the local government space are looking to hire an Environmental Care Coordinator to be responsible for the management and supervision of a team of Environmental Care Officers, their effective co-ordination and deployment to creatively and flexibly deliver fair, proportionate and consistent environmental education and enforcement. You will be committed to working in collaboration to deliver multi-partnership responses with other teams, key partners and agencies in order to educate, raise awareness, build community cohesion and undertake successful enforcement action against perpetrators of environmental crime.
Responsibilities for the Environmental Care Coordinator
- Manage and supervise the Environmental Care Team so that local environmental issues are efficiently and effectively resolved, such as but not limited to; fly-tipping, littering, dog fouling, abandoned vehicles, fly-posting, untidy sites, etc., whilst at all times ensuring the team acts with integrity and responsibility by means of a fair and proportionate mix of education, advice and enforcement (including verbal and written warnings, issuance of fixed penalty notices and legal proceedings) using the range of legislation vested in the Local Authority.
- Maintain excellent working knowledge of relevant legislation, company policies and procedures. Provide professional and technical advice, and be conversant in the enforcement process from beginning to end.
- Have excellent communication, numeric and analytical skills to write reports, prepare case files, attend meetings, attend Court, engage with stakeholders and citizens, review service performance and confidently deliver engagement and educational activities.
- Where education/awareness raising fails to prevent anti-social behaviour and environmental crimes the serving of Notices, issuance of Fixed Penalty Notices, verbal and written warnings and the instituting of legal proceedings will be undertaken in accordance with a wide range of legislation, in order to reduce incidents of environmental crime and meet the company's ambitions.
- Monitor and assist in the recovery of Fixed Penalty payments, where necessary undertaking or supporting staff to undertake interviews, prepare case files and evidence for court, and appearances as witnesses if required.
- Support, co-ordinate and supervise detailed highway safety inspections, if required, throughout a designated area, in accordance with the company's policies and procedures and within the scheduled timescales.
- To be available to provide advice and guidance to contractors and stakeholders outside normal working hours in relation to emergency situations.
Requirements for the Environmental Care Coordinator
- A level education or above.
- Good knowledge and understanding of relevant environmental and enforcement legislation including: Clean Neighbourhoods Act 2005, Environmental Protection Act 1990, Environment Act 1995, Health & Safety at Work etc Act 1974, Anti-Social Behaviour Act 2003. Town & Country Planning Act 1990, Police and Criminal Evidence Act 1984, PSPOs, other legislation associated with street scenes.
- Good knowledge and understanding of relevant highways legislation including: Highways Inspections Code of Practice, Relevant sections of the Highways Act 1980.
- Experience of conducting interviews under caution with persons under the relevant legislation to gather evidence in relation to potential offences.
- Experience of environmental enforcement and court procedures.
- Ability to prepare accurate, clear and concise monitoring reports.
- Experienced people manager committed to developing teams and individuals and influencing team culture by leading by example and demonstrating a can-do attitude.
To apply for the Environmental Care Coordinator, please press the apply button.