Accounting Technician I
Posted on Sep 16, 2020 by Hampton Roads Transit
Performs a variety of accounting clerical duties involved in maintaining accounts payable/account receivable records and processing payments.
Essential Job Functions:
(Duties listed are not intended to be all inclusive nor to limit duties that might reasonably be assigned.)
- Maintains and updates computerized accounts payable records.
- Enters invoice information and posts it to the accounts payable module; posts payments; creates new vendors.
- Reviews and prepares invoices for payment authorization; makes sure the receiving documents match invoices; obtains approvals as necessary.
- Generates checks for payment.
- Reconciles accounts payable and purchasing records.
- Verifies the status of credit memos and enters information into accounts payable module.
- Communicates with employees and vendors to clarify information.
- Maintains and updates computerized accounts receivable records.
- Prepares bills and posts payments to customer accounts.
- Enters all data into accounts receivable and billing systems.
- Reconciles cash receipts, invoices, accounts payable adjustments, cash payments, payroll, uniform allowances and security deposits to general ledger.
- Enters all payments and adjusts entries to customer account balances.
- Prepares summary of accounts receivable to be posted to general ledger.
- Maintain insurance accounts for retired and inactive employees.
- Notifies employees of insurance rate increases or changes.
- Verifies calculation of submitted billing information for trade accounts, charter services, and municipal invoices.
- Prepares and computes van charters, special transportation monthly billings.
- Enters all van mileage into billing system for monthly invoices.
- Collects bad debts; types reminder letters and/or call customer to advise of delinquencies.
- Prepares and distributes bad check customer listing.
- Write notifications of van repossessions.
- Prepares detailed account analysis (spreadsheets) to assist in resolution of customer inquiries.
- Communicates with employees, managers, and customers to clarify information and to explain the billing processes.
- Manage records created and received in compliance with the Hampton Roads Transit Records Management Policy and Procedures.
- Responsible for maintaining a general awareness of HRT's EMS.
- Responsible for handling all related job responsibilities in accordance to HRT's Environmental Policy, relevant EMS Standard Operating Procedures, and Emergency Management Plan
- Perform all job duties and responsibilities in a safe manner to protect one's self, fellow employees, and the public from injury or harm.
- Promote safety awareness and follow safety procedures and policies.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Required Knowledge, Abilities and Skills essential to Job Functions:
Basic knowledge of accounting methods and processes as they relate to accounts payable/accounts receivable. Practical knowledge of computerized accounting systems. Ability to enter data into accounting records accurately. Ability to explain accounting processes to employees and vendors.
Required Software Knowledge and Skills essential to Job Functions:
Proficiency in using computer systems and the listed software applications associated with performance of assigned work is essential. Basic problem-solving skills associated with software applications used is expected. Software usage relevant to job duties will be evaluated.
Training and/or Education:
Possession of a High School diploma or GED certificate. Accounting or bookkeeping courses.
One year of experience in accounting clerical work, data entry or related experience. One year experience in the use of IBM compatible computers including commercial word processing and spreadsheet software packages.
Licenses or Certificates:
Virginia Driver's License
This position is classified as non-essential personnel.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Work requires operation of a keyboard device.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Work involves meeting multiple demands on a timely basis. Duties may require some seasonal overtime.