Sermon Seeds Writer & Editor (PT 10hrs a wk)
Posted on Sep 16, 2020 by United Church of Christ, National Setting
Ministry Team Faith Information, Innovation & Formation (INFO)
Reports To Minister and Team Leader, Faith INFO
FLSA Status Salary Grade 8 Full-Time/part time part time
Category National and Global Ministries, Cleveland, Ohio
GENERAL PURPOSE OF POSITION:
Serve as writer and editor for the United Church of Christ's Lectionary texts and "Sermon Seeds." Sermon seeds is a reflection on the focus text from the Seasons of the Spirit curriculum. and curate sermon reflections from people across the diversity of the United Church of Christ.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Write weekly Sermon Seeds, and/or recruit appropriate writers for weekly lectionary-based sermon materials.
- Process weekly Sermon Seeds including editing, updating, supplementing, and formatting each week's entry.
- Work cooperatively with the UCC's web team on all technical issues.
- Update and maintain the Sermon Seeds Facebook page, adapting Sermon Seeds to the Weekly Seeds Bible Study format.
- Create and maintain a network of writers reflecting on the lectionary to provide ongoing resources in a timely way, reflective of the full diversity of the United Church of Christ
- Work with the categories/tags offered in conversation with ucc.org and Worship Ways for the worship platform forthcoming
- Other duties as assigned
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills and/or abilities required to perform successfully in this position.
- A graduate degree in ministry/homiletics or a related field
- Proven experience in effectively working and communicating with those who write and think critically about lectionary based homiletics
- Familiarity with UCC/ecumenical/interfaith resources, publications and curricula and an ability to envision and communicate new models of resourcing sermons for local pastors.
- Excellent technology, and communication skills, and an understanding/articulation of both traditional and emerging approaches to homiletics in local churches.
- Excellent writing, liturgical, interpretive, and preaching skills.
- Collaborative style and approach to ministry.
- A person of faith with grounding in the United Church of Christ and its core values.
- Demonstrated written and oral English language skills, including ability to conceptualize and participate in development of print resources.
- Commitment to and theological understanding of mission in its broad range of concerns; ability to articulate and witness to one's faith perspective.
- Desire and sensitivity to working in diverse racial, ethnic, cultural and religious settings with commitment to diversity in the workplace as well as in one's understanding of mission.
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively and collegially as well as independently and confidentially.
- Ability to travel within the United States.
This job description is not intended to be a complete list of all duties and responsibilities required for the position and is subject to review and change at any time in accordance with the needs of the ministry. Since no job description can detail all duties and responsibilities that may be required from time to time in the performance of a position, duties and responsibilities that may be inherent in a position shall also be considered part of the position holder's responsibility.
It is expected that the person who holds this position will conduct themselves in a manner consistent with the policies of the UCC and in a manner that will reflect positively on the organization. All staff are encouraged to nurture safety within the work performed on behalf of the UCC by being attentive to self-care, education, maintaining appropriate boundaries, and the importance of referring those in need to supportive and helpful resources.
Our faith is 2000 years old. Our thinking is not.
We believe in God's Continuing Testament.
We believe in Extravagant Welcome
We believe the church's mission is to Change Lives