Senior System Administrator
Posted on Sep 16, 2020 by Hampton Roads Transit
The Sr. Systems Administrator is at the forefront of deploying and supporting new technologies at HRT. In support of the strategic initiatives following the established project plan under the direction of the Director of Technology Services, implement and support datacenter infrastructure using Cloud First approach, augmenting existing on-prem data centers with SaaS and IaaS solutions when feasible. Build and maintain on-prem infrastructure to support Agency needs. While acting as a top-level support tier, provide problem resolution services for all escalated issues.
Essential Job Functions:
(Duties listed are not intended to be all inclusive nor to limit duties that might reasonably be assigned.)
- Takes part in all phases of the infrastructure system life cycle including requirements gathering, hardware design, software deployment and configuration, testing, commissioning, cutover, integration, documentation, and ongoing maintenance.
- Configures and deploys hardware including Servers, storage, networking, end-point devices, etc. at all HRT sites as needed to support ongoing projects and initiatives.
- Deploys and configures operating systems, services, and applications on existing infrastructure in support of the agency's line of business applications such as Intelligent Transportation Systems, Enterprise Resource Planning Systems, Revenue Systems, Business Intelligence & Database Systems, Safety and Security Systems.
- Builds out, tests, and commissions virtualization solutions utilizing VMware vCenter, Microsoft Hyper-V, or Microsoft Azure IaaS platforms.
- Deploys workloads into a virtualized environment through either new VM provisioning or by utilizing a P2V (physical to virtual) conversion approach.
- Develops and executes infrastructure Preventative Maintenance Plans
- Implements software and firmware updates in accordance with the manufacturer guidelines for the entire datacenter stack, including hardware, storage, operating system, hypervisors, applications, and associated management tools.
- Establishes and maintains cyber security posture for entrusted systems through application of sound cyber security engineering principles such as implementation of access control, utilization of least privilege principles, central authentication mechanism deployment, as well as following vendor recommendations.
- Monitors internal system operations, troubleshoots and repairs system accordingly.
- Takes a leading role in the Incident Response activities including identification, stabilization, resolution, documentation, and closure as per established guidelines.
- Assures State of Good Repair compliance.
- Provides support for safety-sensitive Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition (SCADA) systems.
- Performs after-hours on call duties as per established policies and rotation schedule.
- Implements, tests, and provides ongoing support for the backup solutions using backup to disk and backup to cloud methodologies.
- Strives for automation and centralized management solutions deployment in all implementations; administers SCCM server.
- Configures endpoint antivirus protection, intrusion detection systems, host Firewalls; integrates with security systems; establishes log collection.
- Develops and maintains System Design Documentation, Tailored Procedure Documents, and other supporting documentation.
- Provides support for the specialized Transit line-of-business software packages and systems.
- Performs advanced Office 365 administration tasks, including Exchange, OneDrive, Teams, etc.
- Monitors various system logs for problems or unusual behavior.
- Follows principles of Project Management, Change Management, and Configuration Management.
- Remains a cyber security practitioner at all times.
- Responsible for handling all related job responsibilities in accordance to HRT's Environmental Policy, relevant Safety and Security Procedures, Emergency Management Plan and all HRT's Policies.
- Performs all job duties and responsibilities in a safe manner to protect one's self, fellow employees, and the public from injury or harm.
- Performs other duties as required by the Director of Technology Services.
Required Knowledge, Abilities and Skills essential to Job Functions:
Ability to install, configure, and maintain server hardware, operating systems, and software is required. HP ProLiant, Dell PowerEdge server hardware. Mid and entry level SAN hardware, such as HP MSA, Dell PowerVault, Compellent, EqualLogic. In depth knowledge of Microsoft server operating systems and Active Directory technologies including domain administration, Group Policy, DNS, DHCP, ADFS, Certificate Authority administration, etc. In depth knowledge of the file and printing services, Remote Desktop Services, WSUS, IIS, RADIUS, and other Windows server roles. Proficiency in shared storage administration and performance tuning (SAN/NAS/DAS environments). Extensive knowledge of virtualization technologies (VMware 6.5+ and Hyper-V), clustering, high availability, fault tolerance, DRS, load balancing. In depth knowledge of backup software and BCDR process implementation. Ability to support typical enterprise workloads such as database Servers, application Servers, Microsoft Exchange. Broad understanding of WAN/LAN communications, VPN technologies, IP Addressing, etc. In depth knowledge of central management tools (SCCM) and system monitoring tools (Solarwinds). Scripting language expertise (PowerShell). In depth knowledge of the IaaS platforms (MS Azure) and SaaS platforms (Office 365). Apply critical thinking to quickly identify problems and implement solutions with minimal downtime. Utilize software and hardware diagnostic tools to identify, diagnose, and repair complex problems affecting system availability and performance. Using logic and wholistic analysis identify the strengths and weaknesses of different approaches. Be able to qualify decisions with solid reasoning and justification. Ability to multitask and perform a multitude of administrative and engineering tasks at one time unsupervised. Effectively collaborate in a team environment or work independently as needed. Provide mentorship to others and perform knowledge transfer as required. Maintain awareness of advances in information technology and developments in cyber security realms. Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing. Strong work ethic is required.
Required Software Knowledge and Skills essential to Job Functions:
Proficiency in using listed technologies, software applications, and cloud services is essential for adequate performance in the assigned job duties. Advanced troubleshooting and problem-solving skills associated with hardware, software, services, and systems are expected.
Training and/or Education:
Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Management Information Systems, Information Systems or a related field. Certifications and applicable job experience may be counted in lieu of education requirement.
Over 10 years of infrastructure management and administration experience with progressively escalating responsibilities, with at least 5 years of infrastructure project implementation experience. Knowledge of networking protocols and technologies; knowledge of server hardware and troubleshooting skills; demonstrable experience with data storage systems management (SAN/NAS) and virtualization; experience in backup technologies; experience with application administration; experience establishing and supporting hybrid datacenter environments leveraging IaaS offerings (Microsoft Azure and Amazon EC2); experience in managing SaaS environments (Office 365); experience working in environments that utilized Change Management and other ITIL concepts is a plus.
Licenses or Certificates:
Virginia Driver's License
- This position is classified as essential personnel.
- Must be able to pass federal government background screening process for local military installation access
Work requires high-speed operation of keyboard devices. Also requires lifting and transferring of computer equipment as needed. The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Work involves meeting multiple demands on a timely basis. Duties may require some seasonal overtime.