Software Development Manager (band 3)
Posted on Sep 16, 2020 by Health & Safety Executive
As part of an internal development function within HSE's Information Technology and Facilities Division, you will join a team responsible for the development, testing and support of HSE applications. The applications are hosted on a number of technologies (e.g. Ingres; SQL) and developed using a variety of tools (e.g. OPEN Road; .NET; C#; SharePoint; HTML5).
HSE's IT Services are currently undergoing a modernisation and we are about to get started on significant IT enabled Business Transformation. We are reinforcing in-house capability to give us the skills and experience we need to take our ambitious business plans forward.
This post provides a challenging opportunity for an experienced System Development Manager to help drive our development capability. Managing a small, technically skilled, development team consisting of a senior developer and 4 developers, you will develop and enhance small line of business applications. You will ensure that methodologies and processes are defined and adhered to, enabling high quality information systems that are fit for purpose and meet business requirements.
This post will require the successful candidate to provide a level of application support out of normal office hours (Monday-Friday 0900 - 1700), including both responding to important application issues and implementing scheduled changes and fixes when required.
HSE is committed to providing a supportive and inclusive working environment and we particularly welcome BAME/disabled/LGBT+ applicants, as they are currently underrepresented in this discipline within HSE.
The System Development Manager will help to develop new information systems and manage changes to operational information systems supporting the HSE.
The System Development Manager will utilise expertise to:
- Lead and manage the Systems Development Team
- Support the definition, management and execution of the Systems Development Methodologies to be used by the HSE
- Prioritise, plan, budget and account for the Systems Development Team's work
- Support the planning, management and delivery of programmes and projects with the HSE, that have system development activities
- Manage system and application development, writing specifications and code to deliver requirements
- Provide quality assurance of the information systems being developed for the HSE
- Support the definition of requirements for and implement the tools and environments for system development
- Support the change lifecycle, developing changes for operational systems and supporting the application maintenance team in keeping systems running when required
- Experience of full software development life cycle, including managing a small development team
- Experience of working in and developing using Microsoft technologies
- 4-5 years of experience of designing and developing secure and scalable web applications
- Experience of Microsoft SQL server management and development
- Agile development
- Experience of working in an outsourced IT services delivery model (either as supplier or customer)
- Use of cloud computing infrastructure to deliver applications
- Knowledge of MS Power Apps
- Government Digital Services (GDS) development processes
We will assess you against these behaviours during the selection process:
- Delivering at Pace
- Changing and Improving
Apply before 11:55 pm on Sunday 27th September 2020