Software Developer (Band 5)
Posted on Sep 16, 2020 by Health & Safety Executive
As part of an internal development function within HSE's Information Technology and Facilities Division, you will join a team responsible for the development, testing and support of HSE applications. The applications are hosted on a number of technologies (e.g. Ingres; SQL) and developed using a variety of tools (e.g. OPEN Road; .NET; C#; SharePoint; HTML5).
HSE's IT Services are currently undergoing a modernisation and we are about to get started on significant IT enabled Business Transformation. We are reinforcing in-house capability to give us the skills and experience we need to take our ambitious business plans forward.
This post provides a challenging opportunity for a junior system developer to develop their career and expand our development capability. Working in a small, technically skilled, development team consisting of a senior developer and 4 developers, you will develop and enhance small line of business applications.
This post will require the successful candidate to provide a level of application support out of normal office hours (Monday-Friday 0900 - 1700), including both responding to important application issues and implementing scheduled changes and fixes when required.
HSE is committed to providing a supportive and inclusive working environment and we particularly welcome BAME/disabled/LGBT+ applicants, as they are currently underrepresented in this discipline within HSE.
The System Developer will help to develop new information systems and manage changes to operational information systems supporting the HSE.
- Develop software solutions as part of a development team
- Conduct unit testing of developed objects/code
- Document the design and build of systems being developed.
- Plan and account for project work to deliver systems development
- Operate the tools and environments for system development
- Support the Change lifecycle, developing changes for operational systems.
- Support the change lifecycle, developing changes for operational systems and supporting the application maintenance team in keeping systems running when required
- Experience of full software development life cycle
- Experience of working in and developing using Microsoft technologies
- Experience of developing software
- Experience of Microsoft SQL server management and development
- Agile development
- Use of cloud computing infrastructure to deliver applications (MS Azure)
- Knowledge of MS Power Apps
- Knowledge of DevOps principles and practices
We will assess you against these behaviours during the selection process:
- Changing and Improving
- Delivering at Pace
- Working Together
Apply before 11:55 pm on Sunday 27th September 2020