Director, Quantitative Risk Management (Operational Risk Management)
Posted on Sep 17, 2020 by USAA
This position will lead the Enterprise Operational Risk Management (EORM) team responsible for operational loss data, scenario analysis, EORM risk appetite and KRIs.
Accountable for the development and mentoring of a high performing team that conducts and develops quantitative and analytic models, assessments and/or applications in support of risk management efforts that assess the risks of new and existing financial products. Influences processes at both the business unit and enterprise level and leads and sets the agenda for risk management deliverables. Responsible for influencing complex decisions at both the enterprise and business unit level utilizing advanced analytical results that assess future risks, opportunities, and effectiveness. Leads or provides direction to cross-functional teams to achieve enterprise objectives.
USAA knows what it means to serve. We facilitate the financial security of millions of U.S. military members and their families. This singular mission requires a dedication to innovative thinking at every level.
In each of the past five years, we've been a top-40 Fortune 100 Best Companies to Work For®, and we've ranked among Victory Media's Top 10 Military Friendly® Employers 13 years straight. We embrace a robust veteran workforce and encourage veterans and veteran spouses to apply.
ABOUT USAA RISK Management
USAA is a growing financial services company and the Risk Management function at USAA is an important part of this growth. It is an exciting time at USAA and in our Risk Management organization. We are a diversified team of Risk professionals, working across all lines of business across USAA operations (banking, insurance, investments) seeing the incredible growth first-hand. Working at USAA in Risk Management affords you the ability to be a part of USAA's noble mission on a daily basis. We stand behind our 11 million members who rely on us every day.
USAA Careers - Award Winning Workplace (17 seconds)
USAA Careers - World Class Benefits (31 seconds)
- Leads teams that utilize advanced analytics to assess future risk, opportunities, and effectiveness.
- Translates results into meaningful solutions to enhance decision making.
- Presents results to various levels of leadership and influences key decisions that have business unit or enterprise impact.
- Utilizes industry best practices to quantify risk and aggregate exposures.
- Oversees the development of complex systems and programs that measure aggregate risk exposures.
- May oversee model validation and model governance efforts.
- Applies innovative and scientific/quantitative analytical approaches to draw conclusions and make recommendations to answer business objectives and drive change.
- Oversees the production of advanced analytical material for discussions with cross functional teams to understand complex business objectives and influences solution strategies.
- Effectively communicates analytical results, findings and solutions to governance committees, senior leaders, regulatory bodies and the USAA Board of Directors.
- Interacts with internal and external stakeholders during audits, regulatory reviews and/or rating agency requests.
- Educates risk owners on risk management best practices and may work with other risk functions in the development and implementation of risk controls.
- Bachelor's degree in Economics, Finance, Statistics, Mathematics, Actuarial Sciences, or a related field OR 4 additional years of related experience beyond the minimum required may be substituted in lieu of a degree.
- A minimum of 8 years (12 years if no degree) related quantitative analysis experience in a discipline relevant to risk management to include statistical analysis, modeling, mathematics or other quantitative discipline; OR advanced degree/designation in Economics, Finance, Statistics, Mathematics, Actuarial Sciences, or other quantitative discipline and 6 years of work experience in a quantitative discipline relevant to risk management; OR PhD in Economics, Finance, Statistics, Mathematics, or other quantitative discipline and 4 years of work experience in a quantitative discipline relevant to risk management.
- A minimum of 3 years of direct team lead or management experience.
*Qualifications may warrant placement in a different job level*
When you apply for this position, you will be required to answer some initial questions. This will take approximately 5 minutes. Once you begin the questions you will not be able to finish them at a later time and you will not able to change your responses.
- Prior experience leading a function responsible for operational loss data capture, analysis and reporting.
- Advanced knowledge and experience leading operational risk scenario analysis.
- Prior experience quantifying operational risk and monitoring relative to established operational risk appetite.
- Advanced knowledge of operational risk capital modeling and stress testing projections.
The above description reflects the details considered necessary to describe the principal functions of the job and should not be construed as a detailed description of all the work requirements that may be performed in the job.
At USAA our employees enjoy one of the best benefits packages in the business, including a flexible business casual or casual dress environment, comprehensive medical, dental and vision plans, along with wellness and wealth building programs. Additionally, our career path planning and continuing education will assist you with your professional goals.
Relocation assistance is available for this position.
For Internal Candidates:
Must complete 12 months in current position (from date of hire or date of placement) or must have manager's approval prior to posting.
Set up alerts to get notified of new vacancies.