Director, Business Risk and Controls-Remote Work Location Available
Posted on Oct 9, 2020 by USAA
Oversees a team responsible for the development, implementation and oversight of programs that support effective risk and compliance management in the first line of defense. Supports business leader adherence to the established risk framework and ongoing supervision of business controls and is accountable for the development and mentoring of a high performing team responsible for risk and control self-assessments, identifying control failures, facilitating risk and compliance remediation, internal and external audits and regulatory exams, and monitoring the of first line of defense in an effort to minimize risk exposures and strengthen the overall control environment.
USAA knows what it means to serve. We facilitate the financial security of millions of U.S. military members and their families. This singular mission requires a dedication to innovative thinking at every level.
In each of the past five years, we've been a top-40 Fortune 100 Best Companies to Work For®, and we've ranked among Victory Media's Top 10 Military Friendly® Employers 13 years straight. We embrace a robust veteran workforce and encourage veterans and veteran spouses to apply.
USAA Careers - Award Winning Workplace (17 seconds)
USAA Careers ? World Class Benefits (31 seconds)
- Identifies and manages existing and emerging risks that stem from business activities and the job role.
- Ensures risks associated with business activities are effectively identified, measured, monitored, and controlled.
- Follows written risk and compliance policies and procedures for business activities.
- Directs staff and initiatives that support risk and control management programs, to include governance support, risk oversight, risk infrastructure development, risk identification, quantification, aggregation,
- and emerging risks.
- Advises senior management and influences process change.
- Builds and manages a high performing team of risk and internal control professionals through recruitment, training, coaching, performance management and related managerial activities.
- Manages consulting relationships with internal and external clients regarding budget and implementation deliverables and risk mitigation plans as appropriate.
- Partners with key stakeholders in the business and oversees the identification, assessment and documentation of risks and controls, including risks associated with new or modified products, services, distribution channels, regulations and/or third-party operations.
- Reviews, communicates and recommends the development of governance policies and procedures in partnership with senior leaders to ensure appropriateness and adequacy versus industry best practices and regulatory requirements.
- Provides counsel to business unit managers on risk management issues and supports the evaluation of new product strategies on their impact to USAA's risk profile.
- Educates risk owners on risk/control best practices and may work with other lines of defense in the development and implementation of controls.
- Manages processes for collecting accurate and complete internal loss data from business areas.
- Directs analysis and data mining initiatives that identify, validate, and manage emerging risk exposures, as necessary
- Assists in the early identification of risk trends by establishing and monitoring key performance and risk indicators.
- Oversees the preparation of key reports and communications and may present to governance committees, senior leaders, regulatory bodies and the USAA Board of Directors.
Additional Job Description
Joining the Bank Omnichannel Business Risk and Controls (first line of defense) Team, this Director position will be leading and supporting a team of seven to eight professional Risk Management Liaisons. The Omnichannel Risk Liaisons act as primary points of contact for our leadership and executive team, providing advice and support for operational risk activities including (but not limited to):
- Key Risk Indicator development and monitoring,
- Risk assessments and remediation,
- Operational loss identification, research and reporting,
- Process risk reviews and gap analysis,
- Emerging Risk identification and tracking
- This will be a highly client-interactive role, where the ability to build strong business relationships and partnerships will be keys to success.
- Bachelor's Degree in Risk Management, Business, Finance or related field of study OR 4 additional years of related experience beyond the minimum required may be substituted in lieu of a degree.
- 8 years of experience supporting risk and/or compliance related activities in a financial services operating environment or other relevant industry OR 8 years of experience in a relevant quantitative discipline OR advanced degree or designation in a risk management or quantitative discipline, and 6 years of experience supporting risk and/or compliance related activities OR PhD in a risk management or quantitative discipline, and 4 years of experience supporting risk and/or compliance related activities.
- 3 years of direct team lead or people management experience.
*Qualifications may warrant placement in a different job level*
When you apply for this position, you will be required to answer some initial questions. This will take approximately 5 minutes. Once you begin the questions you will not be able to finish them at a later time and you will not able to change your responses.
- 5+ years? experience in Key Risk Indicator development and monitoring.
- 7+ years? experience in Risk assessments and remediation.
- 5+ years? experience in Operational loss identification, research and reporting.
- 7+ years? experience in Process risk reviews and gap analysis.
- 5+ years? experience in Emerging Risk identification and tracking.
- 5+ years? experience leading a team or teams of risk professionals in 1st line or 2nd line risk management.
The above description reflects the details considered necessary to describe the principal functions of the job and should not be construed as a detailed description of all the work requirements that may be performed in the job.
At USAA our employees enjoy one of the best benefits package in the business, including a flexible business casual or casual dress environment, comprehensive medical, dental and vision plans, along with wellness and wealth building programs. Additionally, our career path planning and continuing education will assist you with your professional goals.
Relocation assistance is not available for this position.
For Internal Candidates:
Must complete 12 months in current position (from date of hire or date of placement), or must have manager's approval prior to posting.
Last day for internal candidates to apply to the opening is 10/11/20 by 11:59 pm CST time.