Data Engineer - Lead Level
Posted on Oct 22, 2020 by USAA
Provides support to the Enterprise and has an opportunity to significantly impact organizational growth and effectiveness through delivering best in class technology solutions. Engaged in all phases of the software systems and application development lifecycle which include; gathering and analyzing requirements, designing, testing, documenting and implementing software, responding to outages. Identify and manage existing and emerging risks that stem from business activities and ensure these risks are effectively identified and escalated to be measured, monitored and controlled.
USAA knows what it means to serve. We facilitate the financial security of millions of U.S. military members and their families. This singular mission requires a dedication to innovative thinking at every level. In each of the past five years, we've been a top-40 Fortune 100 Best Companies to Work For®, and we've ranked among Victory Media's Top 10 Military Friendly® Employers 13 years straight. We embrace a robust veteran workforce and encourage veterans and veteran spouses to apply.
ABOUT USAA IT
Our most important qualification isn't technical, it's human. Here, we don't just sit in front of a screen. We stand behind our 12 million members who rely on us every day. We are over 4,000 employees strong, a passionately supportive and collaborative team built on agile principles. We've been a top-two Computerworld 100 Best Places to Work in IT five years in a row and were recently named a Top 50 Employer for Minority Engineers & IT by Workforce Diversity Magazine. See what it's like to work for a company where your passion meets our purpose: USAA Information Technology: A Realistic Preview
- Identifies and manages existing and emerging risks that stem from business activities and the job role.
- Ensures risks associated with business activities are effectively identified, measured, monitored, and controlled.
- Follows written risk and compliance policies and procedures for business activities.
- Design and implement complex technical solutions.
- Provides guidance to teams to help design, build and manage data pipelines for data structures encompassing data transformation, data models, schemas, metadata, data quality, and workload management.
- Participate in daily standups and lead design reviews.
- Breakdown business features into technical stories and approaches.
- Identify and re-engineer data processes to improve overall efficiency and business value.
- Create proof of concepts and prototypes.
- Implement efficient defect management, root cause analysis, and resolution processes.
- Ensure that team builds processes that support effective data management, metadata management, and good data quality.
- Mentor and coach junior/experienced engineers.
- Manage projects within team and work effectively with cross-functional teams.
- Provide guidance and work with team members to ensure successful completion of tasks,
- Bachelor's Degree or 4 additional years of related experience in lieu of a degree
- 8 years of data management experience implementing data solutions demonstrating depth of technical understanding within a specific discipline(s)/technology(s) to include 2 years demonstrated technical leadership experience and/or leading teams.
- Deep experience with and contributes to multiple technologies and product lines across a company.
- 2+ years of experience building data pipelines on AWS or Azure
- 2+ years of Data Architecture experience
- 2+ years of experience leading and/or influencing enterprise data architecture teams
- Experience with large scale analytical solutions on Snowflake
- In-depth experience with Snowflake architecture, optimization levers, cost management principles, etc.
- Experience with SQL or Python
- Experience with DataStage or Informatica
- Experience with Unix Shell Scripting
- Experience with Jenkins or Chef
- Experience with Spark or SonarQube
The above description reflects the details considered necessary to describe the principal functions of the job and should not be construed as a detailed description of all the work requirements that may be performed in the job.
At USAA our employees enjoy one of the best benefits packages in the business, including a flexible business casual or casual dress environment, comprehensive medical, dental and vision plans, along with wellness and wealth building programs. Additionally, our career path planning and continuing education will assist you with your professional goals.
Relocation assistance is available for this position.