Assembly Production Supervisor
Posted on Oct 22, 2020 by Middle River Aerostructure Systems
Middle River Aerostructure Systems is a world-leading manufacturer of thrust reverses (the braking system on a jet engine), engine nacelle components and specialized aerostructures. It supplies and supports these products for engine makers, airplane manufacturers and aircraft operators. Located on Maryland's Chesapeake Bay near Baltimore, MRAS has a 1.7-million sq. ft. facility situated on 180 acres - where the company and its predecessors have designed, built and equipped civil and military aircraft for nearly 90 years. In 2019, MRAS was acquired by VT Systems, the U.S. affiliate of Singapore-based ST Engineering - becoming a part of its global network of aerospace facilities and offices. With the ownership change, the company was renamed Middle River Aerostructure Systems.
The Production Supervisor will provide direction and assistance to work group to meet assigned objectives. You will work within defined parameters to make decisions, apply concepts to issues of moderate complexity, and resolve issues through immediate action or short-term planning. You will be required to engage other support teams with clear problem statements and initiate the communication to work the problems.
Production Supervisor Essential Responsibilities
• Coordinate and provide technical, quality, and production leadership to assigned Cells / Teams to meet quality, schedule and cost goals
• Provide ongoing support in scheduling resources, technical leadership and facilitating the flow of hardware to meet customer requirements
• Assist Product Group Leaders with overall Product Group decision making in areas of process improvement and / or production to make appropriate resource decisions (manpower, machines, methods) to facilitate the flow of hardware through the manufacturing process
• Support process improvement initiatives to reduce cycle time, improve inventory turns and reduce manufacturing losses
• Gather data and report out on metrics on the areas you are responsible for
• Direct the activities of a union hourly team within the cell(s) and participate in cell / team activities to meet identified goals
• Perform administrative duties to support the business, including timecards, labor vouchers, self-audits, absence reviews, and missing time corrections, etc.
• Coordinate all first line activities (i.e. Methods, Production Control) to assure the meeting of production schedules and customer satisfaction, cost goals, and maintaining the highest standards of quality
• Assist Product Group Leader in coaching and counseling employees regarding individual performance and development needs
• Practice sound human relations and communications skills to motivate the assigned work force
• Review production orders and implement production schedules
• Analyze and diagnose machine and tooling problems and takes corrective measures to minimize downtime and interruption of schedules
• Achieve highest safety levels in the plant
• Employ Six Sigma rigors to all functions within the cell(s)
• Mentor and motivate team in safety, quality and productivity improvements
Bachelor's Degree from an accredited university or college; OR a High School Diploma / GED with a minimum 1-3 years of progressive leadership and/or supervisor experience. Previous experience in production/manufacturing environment is desirable.
• Bachelor's degree in Engineering from an accredited university or college is preferred
• Strong team building skills
• Ability to interact with all levels of the organization
• Strong analytical skills
• Prior experience as a process leader with implementing productivity tools
• Strong organizational skills
• Ability and willingness to manage multiple priorities under tight deadlines
• Strong attention to detail and accuracy
• Ability to bring assignments to a successful completion
• Ability to anticipate customer needs and ensure that they are met
• Strong oral and written communication skills
• Strong interpersonal and leadership skills; ability to counsel and motivate workforce