Senior Litigation Counsel
Posted on Feb 20, 2021 by PNC Financial Services Group
At PNC, our people are our greatest differentiator and competitive advantage in the markets we serve. We are all united in delivering the best experience for our customers. PNC has an opportunity for a Senior Litigation Counsel in Philadelphia, PA or Pittsburgh, PA. The individual selected will manage a portfolio of litigation matters, provide legal advice and counsel to business clients, and assist more senior lawyers in their efforts to service the company's legal needs.
The selected individual will work with a team of other lawyers in the PNC Legal Department who manage litigation matters for PNC Bank, N.A. The selected individual will have substantial individual responsibility for working with outside counsel to manage a portfolio of cases. In an environment of legal compliance and risk management, this individual will be required to provide advice and guidance on matters that are often legally complex. It is therefore necessary to be current on judicial and regulatory developments in the financial services industry, and it is absolutely critical that the individual be able to identify matters that present systemic and other significant risks and work with appropriate lawyers and compliance officers to communicate these risks and mitigate them.
Minimum Qualifications and Core Competencies:
• Ten or more years of litigation experience.
• J.D. or equivalent degree from an accredited law school.
• Currently licensed to practice in the courts of one or more states.
• Demonstrated ability to handle a large caseload.
• Very strong legal analytical and oral and written communications skills.
• Ability to effectively interact with line of business managers and non-litigation attorneys.
• Knowledge of legislative, regulatory and case law developments affecting the practice area.
• Experience dealing with clients in a comprehensive and complex regulatory environment.
• The ability to represent PNC effectively in interaction with external counsel for PNC and with counsel representing other parties.
• Sound independent judgment and discretion in order to perform work with minimal supervision, proactive, self-starter.
• Demonstrated experience on large complex cases, such as class actions, intellectual property cases, lender liability claims, and fiduciary litigation.
• Significant experience managing case teams.
• Background in retail/deposit litigation, including UCC Articles 3, 4 and 4A.
- Identifies and manages legal risk for the organization.
- Performs significant and complex legal work and regularly interacts with management.Oversees legal research, analysis, consultation and documentation within a framework of legal compliance and risk management.
- Leads outside counsel relationships and manages expenses.
- Networks with outside organizations to advance legal interests and legal health of the corporation and its industry.
Customer Focused - Knowledgeable of the values and practices that align customer needs and satisfaction as primary considerations in all business decisions and able to leverage that information in creating customized customer solutions.
Managing Risk - Assessing and effectively managing all of the risks associated with their business objectives and activities to ensure they adhere to and support PNC's Enterprise Risk Management Framework.
Business Ethics - Knowledge of practices, behaviors, applicable laws, rules, and regulations governing proper business conduct; ability to demonstrate ethical behavior in diverse situations.
Decision Making and Critical Thinking - Understanding of the issues related to the decision-making process; ability to analyze situations fully and accurately, and reach productive decisions.
Effective Communications - Understanding of effective communication concepts, tools and techniques; ability to effectively transmit, receive, and accurately interpret ideas, information, and needs through the application of appropriate communication behaviors.
External Resource Management - Ability to effectively manage the utilization of external services (e.g., product or platform vendors, service providers, contractors, consultants, outsourced functions).
Influencing - Knowledge of effective influencing tactics and strategies; ability to impact decisions within and outside own organization.
Legal Analysis - Knowledge of and ability to read, interpret and draw accurate conclusions from both legal and factual information.
Legal Function - Knowledge of the major responsibilities, accountabilities, and organization of the legal function or department; ability to provide legal consulting, advice and assistance.
Negotiating - Knowledge of successful negotiation concepts and techniques; ability to negotiate successfully across the organization and with external vendors and clients in a constructive and collaborative manner.
Roles at this level typically require a university / college degree. Higher level education such as a Masters degree, or PhD is desirable. Industry experience is typically 8 + years. Specific certifications are often required.
Disability Accommodations Statement:
The PNC workplace is inclusive and supportive of individual needs. If you have a physical or other impairment that might require an accommodation, including technical assistance with the PNC Careers website or submission process, please call and select Option 4: Recruiting or contact us via email at .
The Human Resources Service Center hours of operation are Monday - Friday 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM ET.
Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO):
PNC provides equal employment opportunity to qualified persons regardless of race, color, sex, religion, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, veteran status, or other categories protected by law.
Refer to the California Consumer Privacy Act Privacy Notice to gain understanding of how PNC may use or disclose your personal information in our hiring practices.