Senior Data Engineer
Posted on Feb 20, 2021 by Pacific Life
Pacific Life is looking to invest in bright, agile new talent to ensure we continue to innovate and strengthen our data management capability. It's in this spirit that we are currently looking to add a Lead Data Engineer to the new Data Science Team in Newport Beach, CA. The position has the option to work remotely.
As Lead Data Engineer, you'll play a key role in Pacific Life's Institutional Divisions growth and long-term success by acting as a data guru and the data warehouse owner. You will have initiative, innovation, and good judgment in a dynamic startup-like environment.
What You'll Do
- Work with data scientists and business stakeholders to understand analytical and reporting needs throughout the lifecycle of customer journey
- Identify existing and potential data sources that would support data analytics work
- Design a scalable data warehouse or data lake architecture in the Snowflake environment
- Design an ETL process and adopt ETL tools
- Ensure data quality, ETL transparency, and clear data lineage
- Work with data scientists to support machine learning model development and deployment activities
You will possess strong social and interpersonal skills and be able to seamlessly collaborate with other members of the team and across functions. You will demonstrate attention to detail, organization, and work, including driving projects to completion in accordance with established timelines. This position will report to the Director of Data Science.
What You'll Need
- Bachelor's degree in quantitative fields is required, computer science degree preferred
- Three years of Python and SQL database programming experience.
- Two years of experience in building or managing a Data Mart, Data Hub, Data Warehouse, or Data Lake in a cloud environment
- Two years of hands-on experience in building and managing an ETL process using Python or other programming language
- One year of experience of managing data in Snowflake or SQL based environment
- Excellent written and verbal presentation skills
- Highly motivated and creative problem solver; able to self-initiate and thrive in a results-oriented environment; positive attitude
- Ability to convey a sense of urgency and to work productively and cooperatively with team members
- NoSQL and Big Data experience is a plus
- Actuarial and insurance industry knowledge or experience is a plus
- Machine learning knowledge or experience is a plus
At Pacific Life, the work we do matters. That's why you'll find those who work passionately each day to drive our company forward enjoy job security, flexible scheduling and great opportunities for career growth. If you're seeking a thriving career doing the type of meaningful work that's all too rare at a Fortune 300 Company, you're the perfect cultural fit for our team.
How We Help You Succeed:
We're fostering a culture of shared values across our company by providing generous compensation and comprehensive benefits that allow our employees to find fulfillment and security in personal life and career alike. These include:
Competitive Salary and Benefits
Work-Life Balance & Flexible Scheduling
Medical, dental, and vision as part our commitment to investing in the health and wellbeing of our employees
Two retirement savings plans: 401k savings plan with company match and Company Retirement Contribution (company-paid)
Generous PTO and holiday pay
Warm Colleagues & Inspiring Culture
Pacific Life Insurance Company is an Equal Opportunity /Affirmative Action Employer, M/F/D/V. If you are a qualified individual with a disability or a disabled veteran, you have the right to request an accommodation if you are unable or limited in your ability to use or access our career center as a result of your disability. To request an accommodation, contact a Human Resources Representative at Pacific Life Insurance Company.
Set up alerts to get notified of new vacancies.