Distribution and Logistics Specialist
Posted on Feb 20, 2021 by Lions VisionGift
MISSION: To honor donors by advancing sight for all humankind
Lions VisionGift (LVG) is a nonprofit eye bank that obtains, evaluates and distributes eye tissue donated by caring individuals for use in cornea transplantation, research, and education. Since 1975, our organization has helped over 30,000 individuals receive sight-restoring transplants.
Please visit for more information on our organization.
SUMMARY STATEMENT: The Distribution & Logistics Specialist (DLS) works closely under the direction of the Vice President of Surgical Services to ensure proper management of tissue-related logistics, and the distribution of intermediate and long-term preserved tissue. The DLS is a hybrid position that includes tasks related to intermediate and long-term preserved tissue. The DLS is the primary contact during normal business hours for couriers, surgeons, schedulers, and other distribution- related communication. The schedule may vary depending on the needs of the department and could potentially include evenings, nights, weekends, and holidays. This position requires 'on-call' shifts.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS / ASSIGNED RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
- Primary person to create, track, pack/unpack shipments, including updating the shipping database
- Processes all types of transplant tissue requests
- Evaluates transplant-potential tissue by specular microscopy and OCT imaging
- Distributes intermediate and long-term preserved transplant tissue
- Offers intermediate tissue to surgeons
- Ensures sufficient freezer and shelf stock of long-term preserved grafts, ie halo and KeraNatural
- Assigns tissue to halo/KeraNatural as appropriate
- Collaborates with Eligibility and Processing staff to ensure timely release and processing of tissue
- Track Tier 2 release of import tissue
- Point of contact for distribution-related communication
- Completes final halo/KeraNatural packaging
- Trained to act as backup for packaging tissue for irradiation
- Inventory audits of long-term preserved tissue
- Participates in database development and testing
- Ensures database is current regarding proper contact information of all distribution outlets and will document individual end user needs to maximize our service
- Maintain a professional demeanor and interact well with others
- Other duties as assigned by management
- Due to communicating with international contacts, travel requirements and the 24/7 nature of our operations, this position may require extensive use of a cell phone and email to communicate with surgeons in a timely fashion and address emergent issues immediately.
Education: High school diploma or equivalent required.
Experience / Skills:
- Superb attention to detail coupled with excellent customer service skills are a must.
- Computer expertise and experience with Microsoft Office products is required.
- Experience with database applications is preferred.
- Experience in an office setting in healthcare and/or science is preferred.
- Must have a valid driver's license and clean driving record.
In addition to the hourly wage, Lions VisionGift offers a generous benefit package including, but not limited to:
- Shift differentials for nights & weekends;
- Medical, dental, and vision employee premiums paid in full;
- Employer-funded HRA;
- $20,000 employer-paid life insurance policy;
- Employer-paid short-term disability;
- Voluntary benefits;
- And more!