Therapeutic Behavioral Specialist - Spanish Speaking
Posted on Feb 20, 2021 by Hope Services
Location: San Jose, CA
Team: Mental Health Services - Clinical Services Team /
Work Type: Full-Time
Hope Services is Silicon Valley's leading provider of services to people with developmental disabilities and mental health needs. We serve approximately 3,500 people and their families in six counties and provide a broad spectrum of services. Hope Services seeks candidates who share our inspirations & aspirations. Selection of staff is made on a competitive basis, and we are committed to promoting diversity, equity, inclusion & belonging at all levels.
The Hope Services Counseling Center is hiring full-time, fully benefited Therapeutic Behavioral Specialists to work with children and young adults (5-21 years old) with intellectual disabilities and mental health issues under the Therapeutic Behavioral Services (TBS) Program. Behavioral Specialists are part of a mental health multi-disciplinary team. TBS is a community-based program.
Hope Services is the Bay Area's largest non-profit agency, providing a wide array of quality services for persons with developmental disabilities for over 60 years! We offer an OUTSTANDING benefits package, including Medical, Dental, Vision, 401(k) Retirement, Life Insurance, Tuition Reimbursement, Generous Paid Vacation and Sick Time accrual plans and more!
Hourly pay rate: $ 24.00 - $ 28.00 commensurate with experience.
Responsibilities of the Therapeutic Behavioral Specialist:
1. Provides 1:1 assessment, training and follow up in the consumer's home and community as identified in their Mental Health and TBS assessments
2. Implements positive behavior programs for qualified clients in the community.
3. Assure compliance with safety and confidentiality standards.
4. Acts as a program monitor for assigned clients. Complete required forms and accountability documentation, incident reports, case notes, termination, client attendance, billing, and other required documentation.
5. Performs behavioral interventions as prescribed.
6. Assess and document client progress, performs quality control.
7. Maintains all assigned client case records. Participates in case reviews and goal planning. Schedule transportation, prepare required documentation, reporting.
8. Responsible for maintaining a professional relationship with consumers, parents, care providers, co-workers and appropriate others. Represents HOPE in the community.
9. Acts as advocate on behalf of clients served, providing intervention and consultation as needed.
10. Acts as a mandated abuse reporter.
11. Perform other duties, as assigned, to assure efficiency of program services.
Minimum Qualifications: The Therapeutic Behavioral Specialist should possess a Bachelor's degree in Psychology or its equivalent as approved by SCCMH.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities of the Therapeutic Behavioral Specialist:
1. Interest and ability to understand and relate to children with developmental/mental health disabilities and behavioral challenges.
2. Working knowledge of handling aggressive/assaultive behaviors.
3. Ability to relate in a positive and constructive manner with clients, their families, the community and staff members.
4. Ability to accept supervision and work cooperatively as a member of the counseling support team
5. Ability to observe, evaluate, document and communicate verbally and in writing, client performance and social behavior.
6. Knowledge and understanding of psychological and mental health disabilities, alternative communication systems and assistive technology.
7. Utilization of critical thinking skills in decision making situations, good organizational and record keeping skills.
8. Maintain valid CPR and First Aid certification.
9. Knowledge and commitment to the principles and concepts of normalization and a commitment to enhance community integration of adults with developmental disabilities
10. Flexible, positive and cooperative approach to scheduling and task prioritization in a consumer-driven environment.
Do you have what it takes to make a difference?
Inspire and be inspired! Hope Services takes immense pride in maximizing our employee engagement. Will you join us??
Winner, 100 Best Places to Work, Silicon Valley/San Jose Business Journal!
Visit to find out more about us and the people we serve.
Hope Services is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees not regardless of, but with consideration and appreciation for race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex, age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV Status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family or parental status, or any other status.