BI Data Warehouse Developer
Posted on Feb 21, 2021 by Allen Lane Ltd.
Allen Lane is working alongside a prestigious Central Government body, more specifically, their Digital Services team based in London, to source a BI Data Warehouse Developer on a substantive basis, which is required to enhance their data services offering in a number of key areas.
In this role, the successful candidate will be responsible for the delivery of technical artefacts such as tables, views, stored procedures and ETL pipelines & packages that meet the business objectives of the organisation, according to the relevant Sprint Plan and Project deadlines.
The BI Data Warehouse Developer is expected to work under the Head of Data Services helping to design and deliver the optimal BI solutions required by the business. They are also expected to collaborate alongside the other teams within Digital Services (Infrastructure & Operations, Service Operations & Digital Assurance, Salesforce & Integration, Digital Audit, Content & Collaboration) both operationally and for cross-departmental projects, mainly Finance and HR.
The early stages of this engagement will involve aiding the Head of Data Services as they complete the BI Migration project. Normal BI development processes will then resume and the BI Data Warehouse Developer will take full responsibility for the continuous improvement of the system from that point forward.
Skillsets required for the role have been categorised in order of importance by the hiring team;
Business Intelligence Delivery (60%)
- Implement Business Intelligence solutions within Azure.
- Build and maintain:
- A mixture of T-SQL stored procedures, SSIS ETL packages and Azure ADF Pipelines to extract and transform data from line of business applications.
- SQL Server Data Warehouses, associated Analysis Services OLAP Tabular Models (DAX Cubes only).
- Paginated Reports using initially Report Server, later Power BI.
- Self-Service BI Toolsets such as Tableau Server Data Sources.
- Support the Business with Dashboard creation activities using Tableau Desktop.
- Provide input on issues and solve programming challenges by participating in database engineering activities.
Business Analysis (15%)
- Collaborate with Business Architects and Analysts to gather and analyse business requirements, objectives and desired features for the organisation's BI platform.
SQL Server Support (15%)
- Solve Database Administration challenges, by participating in database administration activities.
- Work with the DS Infrastructure & Operations team to ensure that the NAO SQL Server estate is available in accordance with agreed service levels and operates within agreed capacity and performance levels
- To provide 3rd line support for fault diagnosis and fixing data analytics system incidents and problems ensuring an effective service is provided in accordance with agreed service levels.
- Working with other IT staff and external suppliers to troubleshoot database errors and where appropriate to apply patches.
- Provide and maintain supporting documentation and relevant procedures to ensure that the rest of the Data Services team can manage the environment during periods of absence.
- To work with the internal Infrastructure & Operations team to ensure adequate capacity, availability, and performance of the organisation's Data Analytics environments.
Project Planning (5%)
- Analyse and estimate feasibility, time, and efforts for the technical aspects of a solution in order to contribute to Digital Services' resource and project planning.
Data Analytics Architecture (5%)
- Assist in the production of Data Analytics solution design & architecture documents.
- Assist in defining standards and best practices for data architecture and related technologies from an enterprise perspective.
This role currently sits in a small Data Warehousing team of three, headed up by the Head of Data Services, so you will therefore need to be comfortable working in this environment and have a team-player/supportive attitude to your work.
Due to the current COVID-19 pandemic, this role will be based remotely for now, with a mixture of office based (London) working and home working for the long-term.
The role is offering a salary range of £54,971 to £66,155, and welcomes candidates from all backgrounds. The remote interview process will be conducted as efficiently as possible after the closing date of Sunday, 21st February, so do ensure your application is in well before that date.
If you have any queries about the role, organisation or process, please do not hesitate to get in touch with Ed Stroud or Joe Tyrrell at Allen Lane, who will be on hand.