Automation Engineer - 12 Months - Slough - £387per day
Posted on Feb 21, 2021 by ABW Recruitment
My client a leading Pharmaceutical Company based in Slough requires an Automation Engineer
For the automation role, we are generally looking for people who will take on a very operational role in the area of the company lab automation, more so than people who are interested in data science or even strongly scientific roles.
As such we are looking for IT/Engineering profiles first, with potential awareness of scientific topics as only a secondary skill.
Very concrete tasks that would need to be performed are:
- Support of daily lab operations
- Supporting the operation of lab workstations controlling scientific equipment
- Providing practical solutions to ensure scientific instrument data gets synchronized with eg network storage
Writing scripts and protocols to control lab equipment
- Writing simple SW tools to support lab activities
- Diagnose issues encountered with operation of lab equipment
- On-site presence is a must for these activities
- To support some of the above, hands-on skills with various IT tools will be important
The ability to write code/logic in:
- .NET C#
- BioVia Pipeline Pilot (a person with experience here would be extremely welcome).
- In summary, the role I envision sits somewhere on the continuum between the profile of a generalist IT Support Engineer (due to the dimension of having to support lab equipment computer systems) and a datascience role (which would only look at IT for purpose of data analysis/science).
Neither of those pure profiles would fit but persons having the interest to operate in the space between would be very valuable.
As a result, I think profiles for the role would be either people that filled field engineering roles with providers of scientific equipment (companies like PAA, Thermo Fisher) or recent graduates which have worked in technology-heavy domains (and therefore have built their own lab automations).
As a Lab Automation Engineer/Expert your will develop and support lab systems at UCB Biopharma UK. These lab systems could include standalone scientific instrumentation and larger scale robotics systems from various vendors.
To perform these roles the Automation Engineer should have a basic understanding of lab processes and activities and excellent IT skills:
1. Managing Windows-based workstations and any software running on them
2. Diagnosing software issues
3. Create operational scripts or small applications in C# .NET, Python, Powershell
4. Have a solid grasp of SQL based database technologies
5. Knowledge of BioVia Pipeline pilot would be a plus
With these skills, you will ensure stable operation of the company Early R&D lab systems.