Sr Mechanical Engineer
Posted on Feb 27, 2021 by Leidos
Leidos is a Fortune 500™ company aimed at embracing and solving some of the world's most pressing challenges. Through science and technology, Leidos makes the world safer, healthier and more efficient. Our Civil Group offers an array of exciting career opportunities for the best IT, energy, logistics and engineering professionals.
Driven by our talented workforce, the Security Detection & Automation Operation is the cornerstone of Leidos' comprehensive suite of fully integrated security detection and automation solutions for aviation, ports and borders, and critical infrastructure customers around the world, with more than 24,000 products deployed across 120 countries. Leidos is positioned to address emerging and evolving threats through rapid development of innovative solutions for our global customers. Leidos' SDA Operation, in conjunction with the TSA, also performs on-call, onsite installation servicing of X- Ray Detection Equipment using leading edge technology to ensure the safety of our clients, customer and passengers. The Security Detection and Automation Operation is comprised of four divisions to align with our customers' missions and needs:
* Hold Baggage
* Ports & Borders
* General Automation
The Leidos Security Detection & Automation (SDA) operation is seeking a Senior Mechanical Engineer in Vista, CA. Leidos designs, manufactures, and maintains an extensive product line of non-intrusive inspection equipment, radiation detection equipment, and explosives detection systems. These products employ a variety of X-ray producing machines and X-ray detectors as well as imaging techniques. The Sr Mechanical Engineer will be responsible for mechanical design in support of new product development and enhancement. The successful candidate will be a key member of the SDA engineering team with primary responsibilities for high speed motor and collimation design. These will include specification, component selections, critical component design, and following engineering review and document control practices.
The Sr Mechanical Engineer will:
- Design, implement, and test high-speed (~30,000 RPM) rotating collimation systems
- Design associated mounting structures and bearings to satisfy stability requirements
- Identify components, communicate with vendors, provide analytical suggestions for component selections
- Understand and design to high-speed rotation safety requirements
- Implement sigh speed rotation balance design and fine adjustment
- Optimize complex designs
- Build prototypes and verify requirements
- Join the product development team and provide expertise for key component design requirements
- Work closely with scientists and engineers for motor control and synchronization
- Lead preliminary and critical design reviews for subsystems during product development process.
- Collaborate with a team of scientists and engineers in order to develop proof of concept, prototype, and production-ready systems
- Follow established SDA ISO processes
- Make the world safer, healthier, and more efficient through information technology, engineering, and science
Required Education & Experience:
- BS degree in mechanical engineering or closely related field with 8-12 yrs experience or a MS degree and 6-10 yrs experience
- 4+ years of experience in the area of high speed rotation design
- Strong knowledge of modeling
- Strong communication skills, including excellent writing and presentation skills.
- Proficiency in 2D and 3D solid modeling CAD tools.
- Definition of Bills of Material
- Engineering change processes
- Good documentation and process discipline.
Desired Education & Experience:
- Master in mechanical engineering or closely related field
- Strong knowledge in high speed rotation
- Experience with X-ray device shielding and collimation
- Familiarity with Product Development Process.
External Referral Bonus: Eligible Potential for Telework: No Clearance Level Required: None Travel: Yes, 10% of the time Scheduled Weekly Hours: 40 Shift: Day Requisition Category: Professional Job Family: Mechanical Engineering Pay Range:
Leidos is a Fortune 500 ® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world's toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company's 38,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Va., Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $11.09 billion for the fiscal year ended January 3, 2020. For more information, visit .
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here .
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to .
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.