Senior Design Director
Posted on Apr 5, 2021 by Nike International
We're looking for an outstanding Sr Design Director to combine their Footwear and Apparel design experience, problem solving abilities, team leadership, relationship building and management skills, critical thinking, and creativity to help lead the team and build the future of Jordan Special Projects + Wings.
The ideal candidate needs to be a highly creative designer and team leader, have the ability to recognize and build high quality designs, and will successfully lead the Special Projects design team to meet the needs of the consumer or athlete through impactful and premium storytelling and design. This person will be passionate about elevating the consumer experience by crafting and executing a creative vision that supports the Jordan Design ethos, leading the design team and working with collaborators to build products that are relevant to our consumers and bring heat to the market, and elevating the consumer experience through outstanding product craft while pushing the limits of design.
WHAT YOU WILL WORK ON
If this is you, you'll be partnering with the Footwear Design, Apparel Design, Graphic Design, Color Design, Materials Design, Product Management, and Development teams, while bringing to life seasonal collaborations and projects. You'll be leading both Footwear and Apparel designers, and will be a key member of the Jordan Design Leadership team.
You will provide strategy and thinking, partnering with executive leadership to define and build a vision for the future of Jordan Special Projects + Wings, and then align teams to work toward it. Build strategies that focus on the consumer first, and deliver experiences and products that only Jordan has the ability to do. You have an experienced knowledge and understanding of sneaker culture, collaborations, relationship building, and design excellence - and use those insights to identify new opportunities!
From leading the team on seasonal concepting, to successfully leading the annual goal setting and evaluation process. From working with key collaboration partners to evaluating consumer trends and insights effectively and providing feedback and mentorship on each style or model to your design team seasonally, the daily responsibilities of this role are wide ranging, ambitious, and exciting!
WHO YOU WILL WORK WITH
This role does have direct reports, and reports directly to the Jordan Chief Design Officer, while regularly partnering with other Footwear and Apparel Design Directors, Graphics Designers, Developers, Product Directors, and Merchandising Directors.
WHAT YOU BRING
- EDUCATION: Bachelor's degree in fashion design, product design, industrial design, textiles, graphics or other relevant field (Will also accept a Master's degree in any of the fields previously mentioned)
- EXPERIENCE: Bachelor's degree and at least 10+ years of relevant Footwear and Apparel Design experience. Will also accept a Master's degree and 8+ years of relevant Footwear and Apparel Design experience.
- 3-5 years of experience leading a design team
- Ability to build seasonal concepts, as well as short and long term vision
- Understanding of the Footwear and Apparel Product Creation and manufacturing processes
- Experience working/crafting with, and communicating directly with collaborators, athletes, entertainers, influencers
- Ability to build and edit files using Adobe programs including Photoshop and Illustrator
- Strong communication and relationship leadership skills
- Experience building inspiration/concept presentations, and mood boards for seasonal concepts and direction
- Presentation/Communication style: Clear, Concise, and Thoughtful (strong verbal and written skills). Ability to present new insights or seasonal concepts to small and large groups, including presenting to executive leaders, and external partners or customers.